Tights (Read 1591 times)

I never in my life imagined I'd consider buying running tights...but, I just moved to Indiana, and in October, it's already cold. At Wal-Mart yesterday (yes, I shop at the monopolies), I noticed that started has now started selling black running tights for $13.88. Before I were to just jump on the bandwagon and buy them, I want to know if you have them, like them, hate them, tried them, spent money, etc. I don't like the cold, but love training in it.

Running Dad

I saw those and was wondering the same thing. I use a lot of their stuff and really like it. Other than an occasional sizing issue with the shirts their stuff is nice. I think I might pick up a pair today and check em out. I could always use em.
      Things to do this year:
      Not get an injury
      Things done this year:
      Bi-Lo 5k(Myrtle Beach) : 02.12.10 - 25:??
      C-R

Heh. Welcome to Indiana. You will get used to running in the cold and I bet even like it. Winter is one of the best times to run here around Indy. Tights are not really optional for me. I've several pairs of various brands/thicknesses and I find they are very helpful. I still feel a bit selfconscious running around the neighborhood in them but if they keep me warm its all good. One thing you'll learn is that up here, the tights may be layer one of three during a winter run. I looked at the WM one's and they seem ok to me but I'm no judge of fashion or materials. I've used their "tech" shirts and have had a mixed bag of how long they last. $14 is low enough of a price not to get burned. I know the running stores are much much more expensive.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
        "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

I wear tights in the cold weather (and also in Yoga class). I have a pair of red tights which are my favorites--not a bright red but a darker red. I have never had an issue of anyone starring at me in my tights.
          I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
            Not concerned about being the eye sore of my town, but more concerned as to whether or not paying the money will actually keep me warm(er).
              I'm going to invest in some this winter. I have winter running pants that are loose fitting and I wear a base layer under them when it's real cold. If I wear tights, I wear shorts over them. Don't want all them men in my neighborhood feeling inadequate. Wink

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Picked up a set (top and tights) at Costco last week for $19 each. I haven't used the pants yet, but the top is very warm. Last night's run was 44 F, and I was wishing I left it in the truck by the third mile. Although I think just the Underarmour heatgear tshirt may not have been enough. I don't think I'll be using the pants until we get down into the 30s. Oh, and don't forget gloves! (Angry - I did)
                  I never in my life imagined I'd consider buying running tights...but, I just moved to Indiana, and in October, it's already cold. At Wal-Mart yesterday (yes, I shop at the monopolies), I noticed that started has now started selling black running tights for $13.88. Before I were to just jump on the bandwagon and buy them, I want to know if you have them, like them, hate them, tried them, spent money, etc. I don't like the cold, but love training in it.
                  Last week i bought a pair of compression shorts at WalMart ($11) and noticed that they have the same thing but long (probably what you are thinking of) they were in reality compression shorts that would come to your ankles --- aka running tights.. So I picked up a pair......they are very comfortable ... you'll like them. They will work well and you will like them - and they dont cost a fortune (like the fancy smancy ones from the running stores)...... Big grin Big grin And you can really gross out your wife and kids if you wear the running tights (black), and one of those tight running shirts (red) and take a towel and make a cape out of it and tell everyone you are SUPER RUNNER....and put on your running shoes and run around the house .... I think its funny, but my wife and kids really get gossed out........but then again, they never mind if I go out for long runs after that..... Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching

And you can really gross out your wife and kids if you wear the running tights (black), and one of those tight running shirts (red) and take a towel and make a cape out of it and tell everyone you are SUPER RUNNER....and put on your running shoes and run around the house .... I think its funny, but my wife and kids really get gossed out........but then again, they never mind if I go out for long runs after that..... Big grin
                    John, I recommend more time running, and less time doing that. In fact, I recommend more time doing anything but that. Wink
                      John, I recommend more time running, and less time doing that. In fact, I recommend more time doing anything but that. Wink
                      There is no question that you are right...........but it sure gets me out of the house and with very little resistance and especially if Im planning on a long run......thks....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Tights definitely keep you warmer, though it's very much dependent on material. Unless they're insulated, tights marketed as compression tights aren't nearly as warm as others. That's a good thing, or a bad thing, depending on the day. I just bought a pair of expensive compression tights and love them BECAUSE they're cooler than my insulated tights. To me, though, the big advantage over sweats and even running pants is when the wind gets intense. All that flapping of fabric feels slow and is slow. Tights make those days (a little) more pleasant. And while I have plenty of expensive ones, $14 sounds good to me... I'll definitely check them out.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

The shirtless wonder

I have two pair of tights. One pair is a thin cheap pair. The other pair is a much more expensive pair bought from a running store. The cheap pair almost isn't worth having. They just don't keep me warm at all. The other pair is great! They really help keep me warm in the cold (Rochester NY is pretty crappy in Jan & Feb). I hate knowing how much the nicer pair cost but they are way better than the cheap pair for keeping me warm.
                            There is no question that you are right...........but it sure gets me out of the house and with very little resistance and especially if Im planning on a long run......thks....
                            What's sad is I will be tempted to be Super Runner for Halloween....

Bruno

Swore I'd never wear them--now it's rare that I don't wear them when the temp drops into the 20's. I still do the shorts over tights thing though.

Why is it sideways?

I still do the shorts over tights thing though.
                                Foul. Real men aren't afraid to jog or wear tights.