Weight loss calculator? (Read 854 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Stephen (va123) wrote this excellent weight loss calculator that we've been using in the Jiggly Joggers group, and I thought (if Stephen is amenable to it) that something like this would be great to add to the site's Tools-->Calculators section.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

va

It's alright with me. --- Another useful feature would be the ability to calculate and graph a runner's daily calorie deficit (or surplus). I think the only thing that is missing is the number of calories eaten in a day, so there would need to be some way to enter this. The deficit could the be caluclated as follows: deficit = calories eaten - calories burned by running - BMR*1.2. Other forms of exercise could be included as well.
      jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

deficit = calories eaten - calories burned by running - BMR*1.2.
        Just out of curiosity, why the 1.2 multiplier for the BMR?

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

va

1.2 is the BMR multiplier for a "sedentary" lifestyle. This is an estimate for the low end of what most people would burn without exercise. For people who do other forms of exercise, besides running, I am going to add a place for them to enter that in the calculator...
          eric :)

I'll put this in when I get the chance.