Should I run HMs/marathons again? (Read 825 times)

Man in Tights

I'm 44. I love running I've been running for more than 20 years. I've run many HMs and a full marathon last year. I had arthorscopy to repair a torn meniscus last year. I have about 80% of my meniscus left in my left knee. And after a long rehab I have got back to good running form. My average pace is around 4.40 - 4.45 minutes per km or about 7.45 - 8 minutes a mile. Nowadays I'm running shorter distances usually between 4 -5 miles, 4-5 times a week I'm wondering whether to keep it that way and run for as long as the knees let me. OR get back to training for HMs /marathons and risk another injury. What would you do if faced with a similar situation?
      There is at least one person here who had knee surgery on both knees and runs 100 mile ultra marathons. I think a lot depends on what YOU want to do and how smart you are with your training. What do you WANT to do?

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Man in Tights

Run for the rest of my life. Training for long distances remind me of my knees
          Bonkin nailed it, it's entirely up to you. I don't have any experience with knee injury, but if you are willing to slow down a bit (and maybe run/walk for marathon distance) you might be able to continue distance running without injury. Listen to your body, and do whatever it takes to remain injury free and keep running. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I had the same surgery 14 years ago and while I don't have a huge running resume my knee has not bothered me at all. Before I started running I was a competitive soccer player (had to stop last year after a foot injury), I still mountain bike, golf and play hockey regularly in addition to running. My doctor warned me at the time that I will most likely have arthritis in that knee down the road, but he told me to continue my activities unless my knee is bothering me. Good luck with whatever you decide.
            swbgal

I am also 44 and have only been running for about 5 years, but two years ago I had ACL replacement and meniscus surgery. I am back running with no issues - in fact I am training for my first 1/2. I say go for it, as long as you are feeling good.- Good Luck !
                i had ACL repair and some meniscus removed when i was 25. i've since run countless halfs, 2 marathons and an ironman. i occasionally get sore knees when i run long - but its both of them so i'm pretty sure its not related to the injury/surgery. so run long if you want to. these days i don't generally go further than half marathon/half ironman. but thats because i can't be doing with 3hr long runs - not because my knees can't handle it.

My Hero

Narsi- Twenty years ago, while training for a marathon, tore the meniscus in my right knee. It was completely removed. I remember the Dr. telling me that I could resume running when it healed, but said that I would probably be prone to arthritis when I got older. Well for the most part, pretty much stopped running for 16 years. Started running again when I hit 50. I've run 3 half marathons and 2 marathons in the last four years and average about 30 mpw. To tell you the truth, I have not had (1) one problem with the knee so far. I may not be able to say that in the future, but for now, all is ggod.