How to practice HM Pace (Read 459 times)

ud32

I normally just run a handful of 5ks a year and throw in a 10K (usually about 50 minutes). I wanted to shake things up and do a HM (coming up in 2 weeks). My training plan called for a 10K race today at HM pace. My goal is a sub 2 hour HM (for my first HM). Long runs are around 9:15 to 9:20/mile I was hoping for 8:55 splits and couldn't get myself there - I always felt I was going too slow and picked it up and ended up running too fast - 51:00. No way I could keep up that pace for another 7 miles. How can i slow it down without fear of going too slow ?

Dave

HM pacing can be tricky. Since presumably your long runs have gone well at 9:15-9:20, I think you can safely go out at your long run pace as a race pace for the first 5 miles or so. You might be a minute or two behind your goal pace. From there you can ratchet down the pace little by little and if you're still strong at 11 miles, let it rip. As far as how to slow it down in training, I'm pretty dependent on my garmin for pacing, although I've developed a good feel for what pace I'm running even without looking. If you ran with a garmin, its not too hard to dial in a 9:00 flat and then not let yourself go any faster.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

ud32

interesting garmin info. Belive it or not i have heard of garmin, but don't know much more than it is a fancy technical watch.?? i will have to research it.

Dave

The device I'm referring to is the Garmin Forerunner. Quite a few models (205, 305, 405).

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Ringmaster

Well, a normal watch will work to a certain degree--just make sure you watch the mile markers. Gotta know your splits. And depending on the race you're running, some of the larger races have pacers, even for the HM. Your long run pace would get you a 2:02 finish. So there's no question in my mind you'll go sub-2. Your biggest problem: going out too fast. Set out at your long run pace, and make a promise to yourself not to let it out until mile 10. I did this at my first half. My mantra was, "it's just another long run." My long run pace in training was about 9:40. I tried to cruise at this pace for the first ten miles and push the last 5k. I came in at 2:02:14--an average 9:20 pace. And some would suggest you should do your HM without a set time goal in mind. But I'm sure you'll go sub-2. Smile Please make sure you post a race report!

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
            Mile by Mile

mikeymike

Do 5 x 2 miles on the track, jog a lap in betwen. I never bother trying to run a shorter race at a longer race pace. It never works out--just race 'em. Unless it's a 30K at marathon pace or something but that's a whole other animal.

Runners run