Doping question (Read 1858 times)

What about Botox? If it gets rid of my forehead wrinkles and therefore makes me more aerodynamic, would that be ok? Big grin

I doubt anyone would mind, except your evil step sister.

What about Botox? If it gets rid of my forehead wrinkles and therefore makes me more aerodynamic, would that be ok? Big grin

She doesn't speak to me anyway, so I guess I'm good Smile

I doubt anyone would mind, except your evil step sister.

Feeling the growl again

Somewhere, a swimmer browsing a running site just got an idea...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Lol!!!

Somewhere, a swimmer browsing a running site just got an idea...

catwhoorg

Labrat

There is a disturbing report rumour about which female athlete from Britain was red flagged for blood and then not investigated.

Apparently her legal team have gag orders out on British newspapers, but that surely only delays the inevitable.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

pedaling fool

Seems like all the attention, at least now, is on the Russians  http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/dec/16/wada-dick-pound-investigate-russia-doping

BeeRunB

Why would I want to watch a sport where who wins and loses is largely determined by who has the best doctor to manipulate their chemistry?

You might not want to, but I think the majority of people out there would. A sport specifically designated for dopers and their chemists would be interesting to a lot of people, despite risks to the health of players. As for the risk to the health of players.... heck, we let football and boxing go forth for profit in this country, despite the obvious risks to the brains of the players and boxers. Heck, we let football go forth for preteens and high schoolers despite the risk of longterm harm to their brains. Now that we know all these mini-concussions increase the probability of long-term damage I don't see any of these crazy high school football towns throughout the USA giving up their football programs just to protect the students' brains--noooooooo. I truly think if it wasn't against the law for death sports to exist, something akin to the Hunger Games (Battle Royale is a better movie) would be hugely popular for both fans and participants (the prize money would have to be really good). Overall, humans love over-the-top risky sports that give them that feeling of power in their guts when they watch. Purity be damned. So, why not the Doperlympics? Doper League Baseball? Baseball was pretty darn popular during the official steroid era (supposedly now over). McGwire and Sosa put on one helluva a show in 1998. People loved those mega-dingers. Those Arnold Schwarzenegger-like players. If we made it legal for doper sports to exist, with athletes participating at own risk as they do already---you'll see these leagues trounce the existing "clean" leagues. Perhaps my view of mankind is jaded, but I think it's not far from the truth. We love our coliseums.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I do occasionally wonder what a sport full of dopers would be like, with the right hype and build-up.

Then I remember we have the NFL, so we already know.

Feeling the growl again

You do realize you replied to something posted 2 years ago almost three years ago, right?  The intervening time has not changed my opinion, which seems to be the most popular one put forward when this argument is put forth in various forums.  But weightlifting has a freak division so the circus is out there if that is what someone finds entertaining.

You might not want to, but I think the majority of people out there would. 

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I do occasionally wonder what a sport full of dopers would be like, with the right hype and build-up.

Then I remember we have the NFL, so we already know.

well, there are smart people like Bill James, Senior Advisor on Baseball Operations to the Boston Red Sox, who think we'll one day thank the steroid users.

http://www.ronkaplansbaseballbookshelf.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/cooperstownandtheroids_f2.pdf

How, then, are those people of the future—who are

taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball

players who used steroids? They’re going to look

back on them as pioneers. They’re going to look back at

it and say “So what?”

And that's when the population control kicks in to high gear Smile

well, there are smart people like Bill James, Senior Advisor on Baseball Operations to the Boston Red Sox, who think we'll one day thank the steroid users.

http://www.ronkaplansbaseballbookshelf.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/cooperstownandtheroids_f2.pdf

How, then, are those people of the future—who are

taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball

players who used steroids? They’re going to look

back on them as pioneers. They’re going to look back at

it and say “So what?”

BeeRunB

You menn there's dates on these things?....oh, yeah.  Doesn't matter. If threads don't get archived, they're infinitely open and relevant. 

I'm all for purity in sports, especially in the one I participate, but I really don't think the majority care. They just want good entertainment.

You do realize you replied to something posted 2 years ago almost three years ago, right?  The intervening time has not changed my opinion, which seems to be the most popular one put forward when this argument is put forth in various forums.  But weightlifting has a freak division so the circus is out there if that is what someone finds entertaining.

Feeling the growl again

Yeah but running is different....which is why our TV coverage sucks.  The general population is not the audience....it is mainly current/former runners.  Which changes things.

You are right I think a large share of MLB/NFL types don't care if the athletes dope.

You menn there's dates on these things?....oh, yeah.  Doesn't matter. If threads don't get archived, they're infinitely open and relevant. 

I'm all for purity in sports, especially in the one I participate, but I really don't think the majority care. They just want good entertainment.

catwhoorg

Labrat

100m Olympians

Red - served a ban

Yellow - positive test but no ban

Green - unquestionable links to doping.

Drummond (2000) got to move from Green to Red today.