Doping question (Read 1858 times)

No more marathons

Without Jeptoo, or an undoped Jeptoo, it might have been an entirely different Boston. Perhaps Shalane would have won. Doping sucks.

+1000

A two year ban is way too short.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Yeah sucks for her to miss out on that day's experience though, even if it is corrected...probably will never see the additional prize money either.

She must be absoutely livid.  i doubt she'll see any money - these dopers never seem to pay it back - but even if she did, she'll never get the experience she missed out on. If it were me, I'd be angrier about missing the experience, I think, though it's hard to say for sure. She will have missed out on other earning opportunities that would have come her way as Boston winner.

The closest scenario I can think of from my own life would be watching someone get promoted over you who uses backstabbing and gossip to get promoted and who is actually not that much better at their job. The money is annoying but what really pisses you off is the knowledge that this person didn't earn it...and any schadenfreude involved in the person's eventual humiliation/demotion doesn't make up for it...

Feeling the growl again

The closest scenario I can think of from my own life would be watching someone get promoted over you who uses backstabbing and gossip to get promoted and who is actually not that much better at their job. 

Nah it's worse that that.  It's like one of these people who pads their resume with a degree they never completed....fake training they get credit for but never earned.  They may in fact be inferior at the job without the cheating.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Netizen Kane

I regret every Tour I watched with rapt attention, thinking I was following a real athletic endeavor.

I agree, sort of, but who since about 1990 who thought they were watching an unaided endeavour? I've enjoyed the drama whilst suspecting all the contenders (they're all from well funded teams) were doped to more or less equal levels. My gripe with cycling is that when the cyclists return from their bans they are back in the fold and it's not even an issue anymore.

Another kettle of fish - Galen Rupp has a therapeutic use exemption for a product which improves performance - if he wasn't a runner would he use that drug? Who knows. But we can guess…

Netizen Kane

There is a disturbing report rumour about which female athlete from Britain was red flagged for blood and then not investigated.

Apparently her legal team have gag orders out on British newspapers, but that surely only delays the inevitable.

You're right - gag orders never work. Someone overseas or online will break it. The Ryan Giggs affair set a precedent in Britain - he got some supergag order, a Twitter user broke it, he threatened to sue, thousands of Twitter users broke it, newspapers reported Twitter reports, gag broken.

The female British athlete, she'll have some questions to answer.

Joann Y

Just came across this today. I have to say I'm pretty uneducated on this stuff but I do think this video of Frank Shorter's talk at the Chicago Humanities Festival from four years ago is good. He also gives a nice introduction about the marathon in general at the beginning. I think it's worth a watch for sure.

Frank Shorter at Chicago Humanities Festival 2010

I really enjoyed that clip, Youtube is a wonderful resource.

As the OP I hope I can change topic a bit... I have tickets for events at the Pan Am Games in Toronto, specifically track events at York University. This led me to wonder hoe doping control will be organised.

There are medical labs at York and University of Toronto but they were designed for teaching not testing, and even if extra equipment is available I doubt we have enough qualified technicians to test 6,000 competitors. Although we hosted the winter Olympics in Vancouver recently and a level of testing was presumably undertaken, we have not hosted summer Olympics since 1976. Testing was not quite at the current level in 1976!

So will WADA or the IAAF supplement the existing labs or simply take over most of the responsibility?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Feeling the growl again

I really enjoyed that clip, Youtube is a wonderful resource.

As the OP I hope I can change topic a bit... I have tickets for events at the Pan Am Games in Toronto, specifically track events at York University. This led me to wonder hoe doping control will be organised.

There are medical labs at York and University of Toronto but they were designed for teaching not testing, and even if extra equipment is available I doubt we have enough qualified technicians to test 6,000 competitors. Although we hosted the winter Olympics in Vancouver recently and a level of testing was presumably undertaken, we have not hosted summer Olympics since 1976. Testing was not quite at the current level in 1976!

So will WADA or the IAAF supplement the existing labs or simply take over most of the responsibility?

Labs must be certified to run the tests.  Samples will be transported to a certified lab.  It is doubtful York or U of T will be involved.  Beyond that, I have no idea.

A single EPO test takes a technician 3 days, by the way.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

Feeling the growl again

beat

Break on through

Given how little ESPN cares or knows about non-ball sports, it does not surprise me that they think doping in distance running is some new thing.

That's not fair to ESPN.  They broadcast the spelling bee, after all!

"Not to touch the Earth, not to see the Sun, nothing left to do but run, run, run..."

Sultan of slug

Nah it's worse that that.  It's like one of these people who pads their resume with a degree they never completed....fake training they get credit for but never earned.  They may in fact be inferior at the job without the cheating.

Disclaimer: I think the sport is better off without doping and consider dopers total cheaters. However:

It's not fake training. It's real training. It's just that doping allows you to train harder and more often without breaking down or overtraining. Just like some people have genetic gifts that allow them to train harder and more often without breaking down or overtraining. It's not like people take EPO so that they can get away with less training. Just the opposite: People take EPO so they can train more.

From one perspective, then, performance-enhancing drugs can help level the genetic playing field by allowing slow-recoverers to behave and train more like fast-recoverers. Then it becomes purely a contest to see who can train hardest and smartest - at least, a competition between people who possess all the other elite-runner phenotypes that can't be altered by drugs. It makes running a bit less like Formula One and a bit more like Indycar.

Thus, there's an argument that the applicable office analogy is that your coworker abuses Ritalin and was thus able to get through a prestigious graduate program in two years while holding down a demanding job. This has left your coworker better educated and better experienced than you. She is in fact better at the job because of these things.

For an absolutely fascinating read that comes close to adopting this contrarian viewpoint, check out this Malcolm Gladwell article in the New Yorker. The basis is a review of David Epstein's book The Sports Gene (which is amazing) and the autobiography of one of Lance Armstrong's teammates.

mikeymike

It's not fake training. It's real training. It's just that doping allows you to train harder and more often without breaking down or overtraining. Just like some people have genetic gifts that allow them to train harder and more often without breaking down or overtraining. It's not like people take EPO so that they can get away with less training. Just the opposite: People take EPO so they can train more.

It's fake training in that it is training that the athlete could not do without artificial help (EPO).

And EPO (and other PED's) give you a significant boost in performance that's not just from training harder. If you did not alter your training one bit but started taking EPO, you'd perform significantly better in races pretty much immediately.

People take EPO so they can perform better. Training more is just one way to maximize the performance gains.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

Having paid for part of my wedding with the money I made serving as an expert witness in an EPO doing case, I am more than familiar, thank you.

Disclaimer: I think the sport is better off without doping and consider dopers total cheaters. However:

From one perspective, then, performance-enhancing drugs can help level the genetic playing field by allowing slow-recoverers to behave and train more like fast-recoverers. Then it becomes purely a contest to see who can train hardest and smartest - at least, a competition between people who possess all the other elite-runner phenotypes that can't be altered by drugs. It makes running a bit less like Formula One and a bit more like Indycar.

Thus, there's an argument that the applicable office analogy is that your coworker abuses Ritalin and was thus able to get through a prestigious graduate program in two years while holding down a demanding job. This has left your coworker better educated and better experienced than you. She is in fact better at the job because of these things.

For an absolutely fascinating read that comes close to adopting this contrarian viewpoint, check out this Malcolm Gladwell article in the New Yorker. The basis is a review of David Epstein's book The Sports Gene (which is amazing) and the autobiography of one of Lance Armstrong's teammates.

xhristopher

And the East German weightlifters were really lifting the weight at the Olympics back in the day. It's just that doping allowed them to lift more weight. They weren't not working hard. They just got more from their best effort than those who didn't cheat.