At what sport(s) are you a natural? (Read 2014 times)

Eryn

I was pretty into Bailey's in my cocoa last winter... But hey, I don't ask questions about what goes into the camelbak. I'll go with anything. Smile

Some runners drag a tire. I drag a Great Pyrenees.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh, my mom and dad used to x-country ski a lot, and they almost always had peppermint Schnapps or peppermint Schnapps + hot chocolate in a bota bag. I now know that "I'm going out skiing" was my dad's code for "I'm gonna ski a little bit and get lit in the process." Not that there's anything wrong with that -- I had to get it from somewhere. Cool
      I have a feeling that your parents are a LOT like my parents...which would make sense, seeing as how you are my brutha from anotha mutha.... Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

sheil2009

21:00

I'm really good a deck tennis, no kidding; I went alone against a whole gym class and almost won. But unfortunately, its not really a sport... Angry I also could say I am pretty natural at running since I did just start this year and I am decent without having ever done any sports EVER...I am pretty long and skinny and before I joined xc ppl used to tell me I should be running, so I guess I have that build as well
          I am super unathletic. There's got to be something I'm good at, with my muscular lower body, but I've never been good at any sport I've ever tried. I'm just mediocre at most things. I'm much more artistic than athletic. But I do it anyway. Because I can.
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am super unathletic. There's got to be something I'm good at, with my muscular lower body, but I've never been good at any sport I've ever tried.
            Have you ever tried cycling? I have a feeling I could be better-than-average at that, but I don't have time for 3+ hour long rides at this stage in life, plus there aren't nearly the opportunities for local racing to keep me motivated AND it's so much more $$ than running. But I think I could be pretty decent at it...maybe someday. k

~ Sarah Kay

Have you ever tried cycling?
              Not really. I have a bike. But it's more of a "get me where I need to go" thing, and I haven't ridden it in years. To the point where I'm not sure I'm going to move it with me to DC in a few weeks. Plus the tires are flat and it needs mad maintenance, having sat in the garage for 3 years. I think my problem with cycling would be that I have little to no sense of direction. With running, I have so much more time to decide where to go when I reach that intersection. Not so much with the cycling.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think my problem with cycling would be that I have little to no sense of direction. With running, I have so much more time to decide where to go when I reach that intersection. Not so much with the cycling.
                That's where GPS comes in! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

The Terminator

Rugby & rock climbing. It would be a lie to say I'm a natural at either one, or that I'm even good at either one, but I definitely have a certain "averageness" at all my sports.

"In the South, the cotillion of Machiavelli is played as a soft-shoe, in three-quarter time." - Pat Conroy

fxdgear

Discovered later in life...mid 40s...that I was a decent cyclist. I ran for 12-13 years, and really, really sucked at it. Got hurt running the Indy mini one year and bought a bicycle. I have done several 24 hour races and have done really well at the National 24 Hour Challenge, going over 400 miles several times. Now I am back to running, somewhat, only because I told our minister that I would run the Indy mini with him in 08. I think it is good for a persons soul to participate in something you are not very good at...keeps you humble Smile Since returning to running I am quickly becoming sick of humble pie. Put me back on my bike, so I can ride like I stole it.
                    Teresadfp

One day at a time

I am super unathletic. There's got to be something I'm good at, with my muscular lower body, but I've never been good at any sport I've ever tried. I'm just mediocre at most things. I'm much more artistic than athletic. But I do it anyway. Because I can.
                      Wow, Piper, maybe we're the same person!! I could have written your post, word for word. I tried cycling. Sigh. I have long legs, so I always feel like I'm 10 feet off the ground. I tend to put my legs down before I come to a stop. On Martha's Vineyard, I did that at a stop sign at the bottom of a hill. Ouch. Without getting too descriptive, suffice it to say that within a few hours I was hurting worse than after childbirth. We had no car, and there was no one at the B&B that evening. We had to go to the ER in an ambulance! Then when we got home, I had complications and ended up at the ER a second time. So no biking for me! I love to downhill ski, but my form is atrocious - I always bend over at the waist. I KNOW I'm not supposed to, but I still do. When I take lessons, the instructor inevitably looks at me and says, "Hmm, I've never seen anyone ski quite like that!" My lack of athletic ability was a major obstacle to my starting to run, but I'm glad I tried it! I'm not really any good at running, either, but it doesn't matter! Smile I've still lost 30 pounds and feel wonderful. I don't care that it takes me 12 minutes a mile to run 4 miles! Teresa

Gotta TRI

after cracking some ribs last season on the bunny slope discovered I'm NOT a natural at snowboarding1 Black eye
                        2010 Dec. California International Marathon 2011 Jan. Disney Marathon

go Care Bear go!

Reading through these posts was great! It seems that I'm another who is ok at a bunch of stuff, but not going to light the world on fire with anything in particular. This past summer I proved to be excellent at falling off my bike with my new clipless pedals! I was always sort of athletic and loved anything in or on the water as a kid. I swam competitively for years and years and I'd have to say that's still the most "natural" thing for me.... I've been swimming longer than I can even remember. And at summer camp as a kid, I loved canoeing and sailing. Now, my main thing is tennis (and skiing in the winter) and of course triathlon. I'm a proud mid packer and hope to be able to keep it up as I get older and there are fewer people in my age group! Maybe when I'm 75 I'll win an AG award!!
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This past summer I proved to be excellent at falling off my bike with my new clipless pedals!
                            But were you at a complete standstill when you fell...? Blush

~ Sarah Kay

Put me back on my bike, so I can ride like I stole it.
                              I lol'd. Big grin I like to think I'm a natural at martial arts. Not the wood-breaking kind, colored-belted-wearing kind or the inside-an-octagon kind, but the classical Japanese lifetime-to-master kind. Their philosophy and intensity appeals to me so much that training is now a lifestyle.

I run for Fried Chicken!

I would like to think I'm naturally athletic in the sense that I can pick up most sports fairly quickly. I can't say I'm really great at anything though. I used to be pretty good at table tennis, used to play all the time and would play guys who competed on the amateur level and be competitive. I also have a decent sense of balance, I taught myself how to ride a unicycle a few years ago. I could say I'm good at that just because so few people actually know how to ride one. Big grin