Red Cross needs your help (Read 834 times)

However, is giving blood detrimental to training?  How long does it take to recover?

you should be 95%+ recovered within 3 or 4 days.  I bet you could do an easy run 24 hours later.  But maybe that last 5% could take you a few weeks to get back.  So I could see it affecting a race performance even a month out.  But for most people, I imagine you could just plan a lower mileage week around the blood donation and a week later you'd hardly notice as long as you weren't planning a key race. 

I used to give blood regularly, but with running a lot more, I don't want to impact my training / recovery.

However, is giving blood detrimental to training?  How long does it take to recover?

This is why I stopped donating. Usually 3-4 days of light running following a donation were adequate for recovery. I did have 2 bad experiences: once when I raced 1 or 2 days following a donation. Bad idea, lousy race and felt like someone kicked my ass. The second was the same 1 or 2 days afterwards when it hit me hard on a long run.

I haven't donated in 2-3 years. Dad was a multiple gallon donor and I thought it was a good idea.

Get off my porch

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Well, anyway.

Donating blood = good

If you can, do.  The cookies are good.

Yes.  I can donate, so I do, except shortly before a major race.  Perhaps they're hyper-cautious, but that's certainly better than under-screening.  The cookies are good.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I ran a workout 1 hour after donating. It was an easy workout and despite my wife's disapproving looks, I felt just fine.

Also, they do have a new machine that can separate your red blood cells from the plasma and then the plasma is put back in. They get double the amount out of it so it is better for them, and you recover faster so it is better for you. You wouldn't want to race at altitude after that but it is likely an even better option to get right back into heavy training.

Really, unless you are racing within a week, there should not be any reason to not give if you meet the other criteria. 

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

I'm up to 8 gallons donated so far, but it's been a while since I've given - thanks for the reminder.  Going to look for a local drive around here now. 

vegefrog

I wish they would take mine! We have a drive at work once every 3 months and everyone always has their cool stickers on and they give out free Chik-Fil-A chicken biscuits!!!

Since I had a blood cancer I will never be able to donate. I used to though, and my husband still does.

they give out free Chik-Fil-A chicken biscuits!!!

this seems wrong on several levels. 

xor

I guess you don't donate blood there on sundays.