Drinking on long runs? (Read 2045 times)

Quinn8580

I'm training for my first marathon in June (San Diego). My girlfriend and I have done three long runs without much difficutly (6, 7 and 5 miles). This week we have a long run of 9 and 10 the following week. We were wondering what other people do to stay hydrated on long runs. We're not sure if we should carry water bottles, not drink anything, or possibly hide them along our route. Any suggestions? Thanks for your input. Quinn
    Scout7

I don't bring anything anymore for 18 or less, weather-dependent. If I do bring something, I have a waist pack Camelback that works nicely.

Lazy idiot

Quinn, Different people have different preferences. When I was training for my half marathon in the late summer, I would take water with me on any run longer than 8 miles, or any run at all when the temp was over 85 degrees or so. Some people don't worry about it unless they're going longer than 90 minutes (or 120 minutes). Experiment with what works for you, and go with it. Personally, if I don't necessarily need it I don't want to carry it around. If you think you can get away with it, leave it at home. But if you want it, take it with you. Good luck in your marathon. San Diego seems like a nice place to run year-round. How hot will it be during the race? (just curious) Big grin

Tick tock

JakeKnight

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Quinn8580

Good luck in your marathon. San Diego seems like a nice place to run year-round. How hot will it be during the race? (just curious) Big grin
            Thanks for the advice. Personally, I don't think I will need it until I get into longer runs over 12 miles or so. It seems like a pain to hold it in your hand for such a long time. I believe the average temperature is in the 60s at start time (6:30am) and 70 by finish. Sounds ideal for me.

Lia's Daddy

I generally don't bring water unless I'm running in the woods (I'm about 50/50 on runs longer then 10). I'm not sure why but I almost always bring my wasit camelback when I'm going for a trail run. I guess it is cause I have had many "three" mile hikes turn into "eight" mile hikes with one wrong turn Confused. Running around town I figure I can always find water if it is an emergency.
              "Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
                Personally, I don't think I will need it until I get into longer runs over 12 miles or so.
                You are losing more water than you think. I happened to weigh myself before and after a run last week and found that I lost 3 pounds. The run was 6 miles and the temperature was 3 degrees Fahrenheit. I've done the same on summer long runs and found that I lose around a liter an hour. The only way to know for sure how much you are losing is to weigh yourself before and after a few runs. You are definitely losing performance by not drinking on a 12 mile run, let alone 18 in Scout7's case. A loss of as little as 2% bodyweight due to dehydration will start to affect performance. You don't need to carry water, nor is it practical to carry enough on longer runs. All you need to do is go out the night before and stash sealed bottles of water and sports drink along your route. I've been doing it for years and haven't lost one yet. For reference, the 6 mile run last week was in 30mph winds so that may have had something to do with it. Tom
                  There are two ways you have to look at this. It's one thing to be able to go a certain distance without food/water and stop there, but as my runs get longer I find that I need to drink/eat earlier to maintain my energy to push through my previous distances. For instance, I can go run 10 miles on a day that isn't extremely hot, without food or drink, but if I want to push past that and go to 13 or so, I find that it helps to eat/drink something around 7-8 miles so that by 10 I'm not at my breaking point. I think that waiting until then to have something would be too late and I would just want to collapse. So bottom line is, have something before you absolutely feel like you need it. Then again, I haven't been doing double-digit distances very long, so that's just my experience so far. As you increase your distances your body seems to adjust. MTA: As far as carrying or stashing water. I hate carrying something in my hand. It just seems to mentally drag me down. You can either stash bottles along your route like mentioned above or if you can make your route pass a store bring a couple of bucks with you and buy a drink. I usually run from my house, so I sometimes make my route pass back by my house at some point and grab something from my garage. There are alot of ways to prevent carrying it with you.
                  Scout7

Eh. It's not really all that bad. It's cold right now (hence the weather-dependent part), and I'm running fairly easily. Plus, I drink a lot of water all day, every day. So it doesn't seem to be as big an issue for me. To the OP: I'm pretty sure you'll get through your runs just fine at this point without needing water.
                      I purchased an Amphipod water belt at about the same point you are in your training (the week before my 9 mile run). I have been happy with it so far...I have used it on all of my long runs since that time. Good luck!
                        I'll generally take a 24-oz bottle with me on runs 1.5 hr or over (never can tell when I take a wrong turn) and camelbak for runs over 2.5 hr. (in summer will use a cb for 2 hr runs) How much you need and when will depend on the duration and intensity of your run as well as weather and probably your training. Since I run mostly only trails, I can't drop stuff ahead of time (besides animals possibly getting into things). In winter, most things will freeze, and I need to take special precautions even with water carried with me to keep it from freezing.
                        "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                          I always bring a hand held water bottle for all my runs. After almost a year of running with it, my forearms are the same size for the first time since my teenage years. Tonight, as I ran past a couple out walking their dog, the lady asks me if that thing in my hand was a beer. I laughed and told her that unfortunately it was water - but that it would turn into a beer when I got home. Strangely, she seemed disappointed in my answer. Maybe I should start running with beer - this could be a big time saver.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Maybe I should start running with beer - this could be a big time saver.
                            From the title of the thread, I thought it was going to be a guide to mapping routes from bar to bar.

E.J.
                            Greater Lowell Road Runners
                            Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

If I am running on trails, then I'll often carry water. On roads, I rarely will. With temperatures hovering around 0 fahrenheit on my last few trail runs, I've used a camelbak with a bladder full of warm water for keeping myself warm. On one of the runs, I needed the water anyway, but last weekend I didn't bother drinking from it I just wanted the heat. My preferred method for carrying water (in warmer temperatures anyway) is a water bottle with a hand strap. I used that during my 50k to good effect. If I am running roads, then I'll plan a run around where I can get water or else I'll stash it. If it is going to be really hot out and/or you are worried about somebody making off with your water, you can bury it by the side of the road. It will be less obvious to would be thieves and it will stay cool.

Run to Win
                              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

uncontrollable

If you look into the recommendations for hydrating it is quite a bit! I definately think there is a trial & error component for each person. Overall, in cooler weather I think we all underhydrate, myself included, but I do what works for me! I am not a big drinker until 6-8 miles and even at that I just start with little sips. I am a nurse and by nature I would rather stay 1 step ahead of lacking fluid or glucose than try to play catch up once it sets in! It has never failed me in the past 8 years.

peace