iPhone app: Zombies, Run! (Read 1251 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You have to turn the music on before you start your mission.  I don't know if you can shuffle it yet...I'm going to try going into my playlist and starting in in shuffle mode tomorrow, as I listened to the same songs two days in a row. 

Ok, I do have it set to play music in the app, but it only wants to play from a playlist called "purchased," which is empty on my phone.  My music was all purchased through iTunes...do I need to simply sync my entire purchased library to my phone?  

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Create a playlist that you want to use (in itunes)

Synch that playlist to your ipod/iphone

In settings, you can select which playlist you want.

I didn't have to start the music first.  It started it by itself after the 1 minute or so mission outline

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Create a playlist that you want to use (in itunes)

Synch that playlist to your ipod/iphone

In settings, you can select which playlist you want.

I didn't have to start the music first.  It started it by itself after the 1 minute or so mission outline

The only playlist I can find in settings is that empty "purchased" playlist.  I have a bunch of Massive Attack stuff already on the phone that I thought would be perfect with this game, but nothing played.

~ Sarah Kay

Clearly a bug of some kind

Just checked mine and it doesn't allow me to change playlists either.  fortunately, I am happy with that one!

Can you delete the "purchases" play list from your phone?  or not synch it?  Then it might give you other choices?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's weird...there's just that purchased playlist with 0 tracks in the game.  So I checked that playlist in iTunes on my computer and sync'd my phone.  Now my phone has 2 "purchased" playlists--1 with 0 tracks and 1 with a few hundred.  Hmmm...I may end up having to contact the app's support to figure this one out.

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Deleted the empty playlist...but that's still the only one the app lets me choose from.  Hrm.

~ Sarah Kay

Just sent them a question on twitter.  @zombiesrungame

We'll see

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I created a help ticket, too.

~ Sarah Kay

Restart your iPhone or iPod. Worked for me!

2018 Goals

No racing goals 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Restart your iPhone or iPod. Worked for me!

Yup!  That was one of the solutions the app developers had and it worked like a charm...woot! Big grin

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, I just saw that the app is half-price for a limited time...  I did mission 4, yesterday, and outran all 3 zombie attacks...woot!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

And they're offering a free PDF guide or iBook for download.

~ Sarah Kay

Explain more about this please.  Does it tell you that you have to run in certain directions?  How do you avoid the Zombies (run faster)/

2014 Goals: (Yeah I suck)

• Sub 22  5K
                            • Sub 1:35 1/2 marathon 
                            • Sub 3:25:00 Marathon

ultramarathon/triathlete

Yeah, I'm curious how it works too.  Sounds cool and who doesn't love zombies! 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                              Gatorade Endurance Team

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You run whatever route you like and the app uses the GPS on your phone to detect your distance and speed (not direction--they don't want you running into traffic or across people's yards or into hazards).  As you run you pick up items (clothing, food, water, bandages, medicine, batteries, electronics, etc.).  Sometimes to evade zombies you must drop some of the items you've collected.

The trick is to not run too fast during the steady state running portions.  The app seems to set your required "outrun" pace based upon your pace during the rest of each mission.  So if you go out too fast you'll have to run that much faster to evade the zombies.  It seems like you need to pick up the pace by at least 2mph to evade zombies.  Each interval is maybe a quarter mile.

After you complete a mission you can apply the things you've gathered to various parts of the app.  There is a screen where you see the sections of the walled-in township.  I'm up to 100 people in the township.  I can't remember how many there were at the start...60, maybe...?

The storyline is pretty cool.  The player was on a helicopter that was shot-down by a rocket launcher, but who shot the 'copter down is a mystery (yesterday I recovered the rocket launcher).  Each mission is about drawing zombies away from the township, gathering supplies, or rescuing people.  Yesterday I rescued an infant girl and her dad.

~ Sarah Kay