Vegetarians and supplements (Read 946 times)

Hey, I have been a vegetarian for about 5 years now and have often been told that it is important to take B12 supplemants because it is hard to get the right amount of B12 without eating meat. Recently I have read some stuff about how supplements aren't all they're cracked up to be (e.g., http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/28/magazine/28nutritionism.t.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5090&en=a18a7f35515014c7&ex=1327640400) and am wondering if this applies in this situation. Just wondering if other vegetarians take this or have any opinions regarding it. Thanks! ~Sorry this isn't running related, but people here seem to be very health conscious and I noticed there were some vegetarian posters.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Vegetarian here. B12 supplements are poorly absorbed. Shots help. But this is not commonly a problem for most. Tell us what you eat.
        What I eat on a normal day: 2 cups black coffee,1 biscotti, bowl of trail mix, veggie whole wheat pita, carrots, popcorn, some kind of vegetable mix or soup for dinner, almonds, and water/juice to drink.
        JakeKnight

What I eat on a normal day: 2 cups black coffee,1 biscotti, bowl of trail mix, veggie whole wheat pita, carrots, popcorn, some kind of vegetable mix or soup for dinner, almonds, and water/juice to drink.
          I usually avoid these threads - because I'm busy eating some dead animal - and I wouldn't high-jack your thread if your log was available to answer my question. But it ain't, and I'm deeply curious: how much do you run? How far are your long runs? I only ask because if I tried to run on the diet you described, I'd collapse in a puddle of sweaty tofu. If you're shy, feel free to ignore my nosiness. Just wonderin'.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

obiebyke

I actually agree with Jake. Shocking! Evil grin I was veggie for quite a while and still don't eat much in the way of animal, but it doesn't seem like you're consuming many calories or enough protein, to me. Trent?

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

JakeKnight

I actually agree with Jake. Shocking! Evil grin I was veggie for quite a while and still don't eat much in the way of animal, but it doesn't seem like you're consuming many calories or enough protein, to me.
              Sort of good to hear. I was really wondering if that's a normal intake for vegetarian runners. I can personally vouch that Trent may be a veggie dude but he eats plenty. Mostly biscuits.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Hm, well I probably eat more than that usually, that is just what I have been eating lately. The pita is about 400-500 calories (filled with veggies and dressing), the biscotti 150, popcorn is a few hundred probably (covered in melted butter), dinner a lot, and I know almonds have tons of calories and I eat a lot of them. My runs are about 5-9km each, nothing longer than that.
                AnneCA

covered in melted butter
                  If you are not a vegan, it is much less likely that you need B12. It's not hard to get enough B12 without eating meat; it is hard to get enough B12 without eating animal protein. So, the supplemental B12 recommendation is mostly for vegans, i.e., no animal protein. As long as you eat some animal protein regularly, you're likely getting enough. Although, that diet you list doesn't contain much animal protein at all.
                    Vegetarian here. B12 supplements are poorly absorbed. Shots help. But this is not commonly a problem for most. Tell us what you eat.
                    Trent is there any point to getting B12 shots if you aren't B12 deficient? I'm not a vegetarian (though I am veg-curious), I'm not anemic, and have no reason to believe that I'm B12 deficient. But the other day at work, they were giving out B12 shots, and me and a couple of other idiots decided to get them just for fun, and since then I have been full of energy, waking up at 4:00 not a minute later, and much less lethargic than I was before. Not that I had an energy problem before but now I am just on a whole different level. Is it typical to see a result from a B12 injection if you aren't deficient? Or is this either a placebo or a sign that I am deficient. Should I see my doctor?
                    "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
                    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Trent is there any point to getting B12 shots if you aren't B12 deficient?
                      No. In the old days, B12 shots were a standard part of a checkup. You went to the doc, got your exam and your B12 shot and went on your way. Felling energized. But they do nothing more than serve as a placebo if you are not deficient. Some docs still give them and some older patients still request/demand them. But it is not of any benefit.
                        i thought this was a nice info sheet about b12 http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html
                        The right path is my path.
                          No. In the old days, B12 shots were a standard part of a checkup. You went to the doc, got your exam and your B12 shot and went on your way. Felling energized. But they do nothing more than serve as a placebo if you are not deficient. Some docs still give them and some older patients still request/demand them. But it is not of any benefit.
                          Thanks.
                          "On most days, run easy. On some days, run hard. But not too hard."
                            - If I do need it, would higher supplements (i.e., 1000 mcg) be sufficient?
                            If you are not a vegan, it is much less likely that you need B12. It's not hard to get enough B12 without eating meat; it is hard to get enough B12 without eating animal protein. So, the supplemental B12 recommendation is mostly for vegans, i.e., no animal protein. As long as you eat some animal protein regularly, you're likely getting enough. Although, that diet you list doesn't contain much animal protein at all.
                            - Well, now that I think about it, it's actually margarine that I use, it is just in fancy butter like packages. Tongue I'm not strictly vegan...but I probably fall into that category for lacking animal protein. Thanks for the help Smile
                            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

- If I do need it, would higher supplements (i.e., 1000 mcg) be sufficient?
                              No. Only shots get it into your system with any reliability.

SMART Approach

- - Well, now that I think about it, it's actually margarine that I use, it is just in fancy butter like packages. Tongue I'm not strictly vegan...but I probably fall into that category for lacking animal protein. Smile
                                I wouldn't recommend butter or margarine. But, I would recommend butter over margarine. Just limit it. Trans fats in margarine are horrible.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com