Mapping Issues (Read 546 times)

kbarnes660

1. The map does not recogize my address so I put in my zip code. When I do that, it will not allow me to start from my house to create a running route. 2. I cannot change the starting point where I live. How do I change is so that my starting point is from my house and not the predetermined point that is chooses. I have done other routes through Americas Running Routes and never had a problem.
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

it will not allow me to start from my house
      What do you mean that it "will not allow" you? What are you doing exactly to get to your home on the map?
        It sounds like the problem is that it doesn't recognize your location as a real road. On the top of the map is an option to "Follow Road". Maybe if that is checked, a point that isn't on a road is throwing it off?

-------------------------------------
        5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
        10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
        1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
        Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

I am having a problem similar to this. My default location shows up just fine, but when I clicl on a spot to mark the beginning of a run, the actual starting point ends up several blocks away from where I clicked. This is regardless of whether or not I have "follow road" selected. Even if I move that starting point to where it should be, each subsequent point goes down inches (on the screen) from where I actually clicked.
          Jenny
            Solved my issue - I am running IE 8 which is apparently not compatible with the course mapping. Runnng in compatibility mode makes it work perfectly again. Yay!
            Jenny
            eric :)

Thanks AuntJenny74 for figuring it out. There was an article about IE8 and compatibility mode a couple of years ago that basically said Microsoft is in a catch 22. IE never adhered to standards, which frustrated many web programmers. Microsoft decided to change that but realized they'll break many websites. The compability mode will perpetuate bad coding by web programmers. I tried IE8 a couple of years ago and the maps did break horribly. This is a Google problem and we need to wait for them to fix it before we can use IE8 in standards compliant mode.
                i don't have IE8 running, but at my work we had to change something to the metatags of the pages to let the javascript work in IE8: meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=7" In this case IE8 works like IE7 other browser don't react strange on this tag.
                Stevenjohnny

Running IE8 in compatibility mode eventually becomes extremely slow and you will continue to get errors about scripts running on the page. It would take me 25 minutes to map a 20 mile route because of how slow the page was running, even in compatibility mode. I downloaded the Google Chrome web browser and there are absolutely no issues with it and it is extremely fast for use in Map Editing/Creation!