Baltimore Running Festival (Read 366 times)

Diesel Power

This is probably a bit early to start talking about this, but I like to plan ahead... I'll be doing the half marathon at the Baltimore Running Festival this year. It'll be my first half, but more importantly, my first fairly big urban race. Parking/driving in Baltimore can be a pain without road closures and hundred (thousands?) of extra drivers. I imagine this will be a bit rough, so I was hoping to get insight from those who have been there before. I live in Cockeysville, so I think the easiest way to get there would be to simply take the light rail down. However, this would probably mean having to check my sports bag at Ravens stadium. Once this is done, how easy/difficult is it to get access to my bag? Would it just be easier to drive into the city and find parking before the marathon starts? Or, is parking so far away from the harbor that this would just be a wash? Thanks, I appreciate the help!
    barbg

I did Baltimore 1/2 in 06 and the full in 07. If you don't want to get up early and get to Raven's stadium early - as in around the marathon start time you might want to consider the light rail idea. However, If you want to immerse yourself in the whole event, and have a car at the ready when you are done celebrating your accomplishment, I recommend driving down early, getting a prking spot at Raven's Stadium, watching the marathon start or even the 5k run (there are some amazing kids) and then walking with a million others to the start of the 1/2 at the inner harbor. The atmosphere is a high and part of the whole scene. The bag pick up is efficiently handled and bags are available right at the finish line with all the athlete food and you shouldn't have a problem checking or collecting your stuff. In fact the whole race is a terrific one. I am doing Chicago the same weekend and right now I am really sorry I am not going back to Balto. for this one....

Best Present Ever

parking at the harbor will work. You could even park at the Renaissance Harborplace I'd imagine -- it's only about a block from the start of the half. This will be my third time running the Baltimore Half. I think it's a great race. Not too flat, not too hilly, lots of fun crowds along the way, some urban stretches, some fun neighborhoods, a pretty run around the lake ... You do need to look at the street closing info, though, because much of the area around the start of the half will be shut down for the marathon. You'll have to get in early enough. I've never used the bag check, so I've not got experience to share on that.
        pitrunner

Bmore will be my first half also! I'll be curious to see what suggestions others have. FWIW- I was planning on riding down with my family and then having them watch my stuff during the race. I have a friend who lives in Federal Hill so I was going to use her parking pass to park there and walk over towards Camden Yards.
          Scout7

They have parking at the stadium. It's actually not too difficult to park, and getting out is relatively easy, too. There will be traffic, that's completely unavoidable. I've gotten there about an hour before the marathon start, though, so that may or may not change your planning. Checking a bag is VERY easy, as is recovery. I checked a bag about 10 minutes before the start, no problems, and got it back with no problem.

Diesel Power

Thanks for the help! A friend of mine who lives at JHU (about a mile from the starting line) is doing the full marathon (his first), so I may stay at his place the night before. I may still check a bag so I can carry an iPod in case I get bored in the hours spent wandering prior to the half, but at least this would solve the parking problem.