Yasso's (Read 1063 times)

Ok so I was thinking after reading the articl by Amby Burfoot about the Yasso 800's. If the 800's work for training for a full marathon would 400's work the same way for a half. I would think so but since I have not done any 800's it would work IMHO. Let me know your thoughts on this. Jeremy
    2009 Goals...:
    -run more miles than 2008

-build base to train for 2010 Rome Marathon

#artbydmcbride

The elegance of the concept has me completely stunned.

Runners run

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Neat -- what are the equivalent shorter ones for 10K races and for 5K races?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

JakeKnight

Neat -- what are the equivalent shorter ones for 10K races and for 5K races?
          Run to the fridge and back for 5k training. But give it 101% effort.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

JakeKnight

A semi-serious answer: No. I don't think it works that way. I love 400s - for 5k training. Frankly I think 800s are of limited value for marathons or half-marathons; and I wouldn't go any shorter for interval training for a half marathon (or marathon). I'd do mile intervals if I were you and skip the shorter stuff, assuming you're concentrating solely on the half marathon. If you're just doing some speed work for the helluva it, then mix it up. But I think I can safely say that 400s ain't the best way to train for a half marathon. I'd skip the intervals altogether and do quick tempo runs at a little faster than race pace, maybe some longer progression runs where you run that last few miles at race pace, some medium distance race pace runs, and build up a lot of mileage. ----------------------- Modified again: I looked at your log and it confirmed the above. Forget the fancy stuff. Just run. Build your mileage up (a lot) and work on consistency. Run 5 days a week, easy runs mostly. Build a base. You can do speed work later. Right now you need AT LEAST a consistent 20 miles a week on the road. 30 would be better. 40 better still. If you do 400s or any fast speed work on your current mileage, you're almost begging for an injury.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Hawt and sexy

Naw dude. You need to do 6 minute abs. Step into my office. 'cause you're fired.

I'm touching your pants.

Jake thanks for the input.....I am not training for a HM yet. I was just thinking when I was out running today. Right now I am doing Hal Higdon 15K training so that I can run the Gate River Run.
                2009 Goals...:

#artbydmcbride

I still think the concept is stunningly elegant! Consistent 400s in 2 minutes should predict a 2 hour half marathon. Of course building up an endurance base by getting long runs in once a week to 10 miles or longer would be icing on the cake........ 1:45 minute 400s = 1 hour and 45 min half marathon. Its so beautiful I could cry.

Runners run

Feeling the growl again

I still like 800s and 1000s for marathon training, but it's polishing stuff. It's great for VO2max. I keep recovery short, 90sec for 800s and 120sec for 1000s. This keeps it more aerobic. The best marathon predictor I've found is mile repeats (with a 200m HR - equalizing lead-off) at 163-165 BPM...this works because I know that this is about the HR I can sustain for a marathon. With long 400m jog recoveries, I do 4Xmile the week before a marathon, during taper, and darned if the pace I run for these miles isn't usually spot-on to my marathon.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

> Run to the fridge and back for 5k training. But give it 101% effort. That's excellent, and it scales beautifully for 10K, because I can do doubles for 10K training, and I can conveniently practice hydration by drinking at the refrigerator end (because 10K is a long thirsty course).

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ok so I was thinking after reading the articl by Amby Burfoot about the Yasso 800's. If the 800's work for training for a full marathon would 400's work the same way for a half. I would think so but since I have not done any 800's it would work IMHO. Let me know your thoughts on this. Jeremy
                        Hey Jeremy After looking at your log, I'm going to echo the comments of some others here: get in more miles. You should build a good base before you start doing speedwork. Regardless of what distance you want to race, you need to build up those miles! Smile
                        2009: BQ?
                        jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've always believed the Yasso relationship is backwards. The conventional wisdom is, for example, that if you can run 800m repeats in 3m:45s, you can run a marathon in 3h:45m. I think it's the other way around -- if you're ready to run a marathon in 3:45, you can run 800m repeats in 3:45. So in other words, Yasso 800's have zero predictive value for the marathon. They're not a bad workout, but you'd be much better served doing tempo runs and long runs with 5~6 mile stretches at race pace. As for 6-minute abs, who works out in 6 minutes? You won't even get your heart going, not even a mouse on a wheel. 7's the key number here. Think about it. 7-Elevens. 7 doors. 7, man, that's the number. 7 chipmunks twirlin' on a branch, eatin' lots of sunflowers on my uncle's ranch. You know that old children's tale from the sea. It's like you're dreamin' about Gorgonzola cheese when it's clearly Brie time, baby.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

As for 6-minute abs, who works out in 6 minutes?
                            If you've only got 6 minutes, then a 1 minute warmup, a 4:01 mile, and finishing with a 59 second cool down is a much better workout than the 6 minute abs program.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

I've always believed the Yasso relationship is backwards. The conventional wisdom is, for example, that if you can run 800m repeats in 3m:45s, you can run a marathon in 3h:45m. I think it's the other way around -- if you're ready to run a marathon in 3:45, you can run 800m repeats in 3:45. So in other words, Yasso 800's have zero predictive value for the marathon. They're not a bad workout, but you'd be much better served doing tempo runs and long runs with 5~6 mile stretches at race pace.
                              The Yasso principle is primarily an evaluation tool as opposed to a workout. I do use 800m repeats regularly in my training but I use an equal distance recovery as opposed to equal time. As for the value of the Yasso session as a predictor, I think of it as a "negative predictor". Just because you can run the 10 x 800 in the target time, doesn't necessarily insure success in your marathon. If you CAN'T do it however, your goal is most likely not achievable.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Ok just to clear this up....I am by no means ready to run a HM. I know that I need to get a good base before I start training for the half and full. I am by no means wanting to do speed work right now, I just liked the thought of the idea of the 400's. Thanks for all the input. Jeremy
                                2009 Goals...: