Does this seem strange... (Read 824 times)

I a newbie runner. I started last September with the Couch to 5K. Slowly moved up to 10k. I've been taking it pretty easy (a few weeks, I took it a little too easy, but I digress). Anyway, I love to read as much as I can about running. Came across the Macmillan pace calculator and based on my fastest 5k ever (9:30 mile), my easy runs should be 11:30 - 12:00 minute miles. Here's the part that seems strange. When I try to slow down to 11:30 or slower, my left knee hurts. I speed up to 11:00 minute miles or faster and my knee is fine. Anyone else think that's odd?

http://www.runningnotes.net

The Greatest of All Time

Not entirely strange. Your running mechanics can change at different paces so you might be stressing the knee when you run slower. I have had minor injuries that hurt less the faster I ran. I think it's common.
      all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.
        I find the same thing with my running. Supposedly my easy and long runs should be in that 10:00 to 10:30 range but I feel better at 9:30 or better. Usually there is no difference in my HR between the two either so I just run at that 9:30 pace. I can't explain it. I've given up trying to figure it out. Now there are days I know I need to run slower...like last night's run. My body was tired, legs heavy, etc. With the slower pace I usually feel different aches and pains in my legs Maybe pain is too strong a word since it really doesn't hurt...maybe more like tension. Usually in the shin or calf for me. I guess if I'd commit myself a little bit more seriously to my training, I'd follow those predicted paces a little more closely. My laziness keeps me from doing that.
          Your running mechanics can change at different paces so you might be stressing the knee when you run slower.
          Very true, my wife is a case in point. She has suffered with IT band problems for the last 6 months. For the last 8 weeks or so she has opted for runs that involve her running at a very high speed for short periods (2-3 minutes) followed by 2 minutes of walking. Since doing these intervals not only has she become a speedy little thing, but her IT band hasn't been bothering her anymore. She is slowly weening her way back to constant running. Since doing these intervals she has increased her easy run pace from about 10:30/mile to around 9:00/mile. A nice little consequence of this injury I suppose. Anyway sorry for the highjacked thread, I just wanted to reiterate that biomechanics change as you slow down and speed up. As one runs faster they are *generally* forced to run in a more biomechanically efficient form.
          Kimmie

I had the same thing when I had an ITB issue myself. So, I would just say run at what feels like a conversational pace for your easy runs.
            jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

McMillan's is a great tool, but this is one of those cases where you just have to listen to your body. As a new runner, you will start out with slower times, and this can artificially affect what should be your easy pace. If 11:00 feels better, do that.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Great to hear everyone. Thanks for the replies! I guess I will just run my easy runs at 11 (or whatever feels good that day). Can't believe my "easy" runs are now at 11:00 minute pace. I give a lot of thanks to all of you folks here at Running AHEAD!

Slow running is a very important part of any runners training so be careful about abandoning slow easy pace running. I would even go as far as saying for longevity and continued running success one cannot do without days of slow pace running. The big problem is that slow running can lead to poor running form so you have to be careful to pick your legs up and accentuate your fast running form while slow running just to make sure you are maintaining good and proper form.
                    Not to keep restating what everyone else has said, but I would just listen to your body as well. I know that I am only comfortable running a slow pace at the beginning of a run, but once everything gets warmed up I am much more comfortable at a faster pace. As has been stated, your mechanics may be different at a slower pace. I know my stride feels forced at a slower pace and I find myself landing on my heel more often. Also my hips tend to be a bit all over the place. I'm far from an expert but I did have a seasoned runner explain to me once that the vast majority of knee pain in runners is caused when you allow your bodyweight to get a little bit forward because the knee and quad absorb the shock more than the foot and lower leg. Just a thought.
                    And who am I anyway?
                    Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                      One other thought.... the Macmillan is way off for me on just about everything. The training paces are not something I could stay within, and the estimates for my times at other distances based on one distance are not even close to my real times. There was another pace calculator out there... VDOT?... that I found to be more accurate for me in terms of both training pace and accurate projections.
                      And who am I anyway?
                      Just another fat jogger, evidently.
                        Regarding ITB and slower speeds. I can confirm, so did my sports podiatrist. The ITB is stressed more at slow speeds and when going downhill. -R
                          Thanks to all the posters. I think I will run at MY slow pace, around 11:00, since that is what feels right, rather than the Macmillan prescribed slow pace. Honestly, when I tried to run 12:00, I thought I might be going backwards. Smile Of course, that used to be my medium/fast pace when I first started! I think I was just thinking that is what I was supposed to do. I read a bunch of stuff about heart rate training, and it seemed like I should slow down based on that as well. However, I did a run the other day to try and see if I could determine my maximum heart rate, and it was MUCH higher than the crappy 226-your age formula. So, I think that indicates that my slower runs should be around 11:00 as well. Thanks again for all of the responses!

Regarding ITB and slower speeds. I can confirm, so did my sports podiatrist. The ITB is stressed more at slow speeds and when going downhill. -R
                            Interesting. Going downhill doesn't bother me at all. But I also go a little faster down hill, since I read that leaning into it helps relieve stress on the knees. I didn't really feel like my form was faltering at the slower speed, but I guess it must have been.