Site Performance and Page Loading Problems! (Read 866 times)

megproulx

I'm having a problem related to site performance and the forum thread entitled 'Running ahead locking up''. The pages on Running ahead never load for me and it's been happening for the past month or so. It's mainly when I go to enter a new run, look at any of my courses, or look at my calendar. It's getting pretty painful because it takes a veryyyyyy long time for the page to load or I have to refresh a dozen times (typically the page will partially load). Most of the time I have to close the tab and try again later. I don't have any trouble on other computers so I'm not sure if there is some setting that I'm missing. I am running Firefox (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.3) Gecko/2008092417 Firefox/3.0.3) on Windows XP operating system version 2002. If anyone has any tips or suggestions as to what would be causing that I would really appreciate it!
      We have been having problems at our household as well. We have four users in our house who use the site - and it seems like most of the problems are associated with one of the users. Usually he can't even get logged in, and it happens on more than one computer. I can log the other three in pretty fast most of the time - but the one seems to take forever. The passwords are memorized so it isn't like we are typing in the wrong info or something like that... Any ideas? Once logged in, then it gives us trouble trying to log workouts with that user...
      eric :)

Hi Meg, I looked into your problem but didn't find anything. The server doesn't make a distinction amongst browsers. Does your browser have problems only with RA or have you seen this with other sites as well? Have you tried using Internet Explorer on the problematic machine? Here are some things that you can do to help me diagnose the problem. see what Firefox is doing when it's freezing up: 1. press ctrl-shift-esc to bring up task manager 2. click on the process table and sort by Image name 3. locate firefox.exe and check its CPU usage 4. go to a page that Firefox freezes on and check the CPU usage again. Is its CPU usage a non-zero value? When it's freezing, also check the hard drive light. Is it on constantly? Other typical suspects are antivirus and firewall software. Are you using any of that? eric :-)

CandoKid1, If you tell me this person's account name, I can look into it for you. Send it to me via the feedback page if you don't want it to be publicly known. eric :-)
          megproulx

Hi Eric, thanks for looking in to this problem! Firefox only does this with RA, I've have no problems with any other website. I tried working in Internet Explorer but it behaves the same way. I looked into what Firefox is doing when it is freezing up. CPU usage is non-zero, it fluctuates between 2 and 20 while the page tries to load. The hard drive light is not constantly running while this is happening. I am using antivirus software (Norton), is there anything specific I should check on the antivirus software? I'll take a look at it and see if I can find anything.
              sorry don't want to hijack but I'm seeing similar things I'm using Firefox on Ubuntu and it does the same for me. The page load can 'hang' in both the forum and the training log pages. if it does I just stop that server request and start a new one. sometimes it takes 3 goes to get it to respond.

Meg, I am stumped on the problem. If it only happens on one particular computer, then my guess would be there's something special about that computer that's causing the problem. The server does not behave differently for Firefox and IE. Without having access to that computer, I don't think I could figure out why it's doing that. ipdove: does it happen to you consistently? The RA server was under a lot of load until I made some optimizations recently. If you have LiveHTTPHeaders installed, check out what it is reporting. Maybe that will shed on light on what's going on with your browser.
                megproulx

Ok. Thanks for your help anyways!
                    Hi Eric Smile thanks for getting back. I have installed the firefox plugin 'live http headers' and will use it to capture the header requests when new workout submissions 'hang' when I've got some meaningful data I'll post it. thanks again. Ian