So what would your evaluation of this running technique be? (Read 1412 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

chasing prey. So I guess yes they were running for their lives.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

#artbydmcbride

Hopscotch

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Think what you will, and I'll prefer to believe that "conventional wisdom" obviously isn't very wise...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

chasing prey. So I guess yes they were running for their lives.

Right, I considered that version of running for their lives.

What's confusing about that site is why some seem to have been running like mad, while others were just ambling along.  Prints seemingly made at about the same time.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Think what you will, and I'll prefer to believe that "conventional wisdom" obviously isn't very wise...

It's best to neither accept it blindly nor dismiss it out of hand.

sport jester

Biomimeticist

It's a point of fascination that such factual records still exist. While the timeline is about the same, one cannot know if it weren't an overlap of different days worth of travel. We'll never know, but there are a number of individuals, their children, and an incredible picture to human history.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It's a point of fascination that such factual records still exist. While the timeline is about the same, one cannot know if it weren't an overlap of different days worth of travel. We'll never know, but there are a number of individuals, their children, and an incredible picture to human history.

+1

+1

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Incredible seems the right word.

They conclude that the one-legged man was travelling 21.7 km/hr. So, he was clipping off 4:27/mile pace with one leg? Okay, wow.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                    sport jester

Biomimeticist

Yet the question stands:

If a different running technique exists, then have we reached our true speed potential?

How does factual record contrast with our current "expert" opinions of how we're "supposed" to be running?

I will try running with one leg. The experts don't want me to, but I spit in their general direction.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

#artbydmcbride

Yet the question stands:

If a different running technique exists, then have we reached our true speed potential?

How does factual record contrast with our current "expert" opinions of how we're "supposed" to be running?

wild-eyed hypothesis of how the footprints were made is hardly 'factual record'   Smile

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Except that every high speed animal on planet earth runs with an inline footfall.

I've been teaching it for years, and I've increased runner's speeds by 20% with only a couple of hours of instruction...

No Talent Drips

I've been teaching it for years, and I've increased runner's speeds by 20% with only a couple of hours of instruction...

I am soooo glad I read this thread. I have been really trying everything I can to get faster--starting with Jazzercise in the late 1980s. Recently, I have been doing lots of Crossfit with a mix of a paleo/slow carb diet and minimalist footwear, but (clearly) I have overlooked this most important step (pun intended Wink). 

I want to learn. What'll it cost, man? What'll it cost!?!?

Dei Gratia

JimR

The speed calculations are calculated using constants derived from averages.  Part of the formulas originates from stride patterns of a small sampling (12) of recreational distance runners.  Use very large grains of salt when reading the tables.