So what would your evaluation of this running technique be? (Read 1412 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I can say that the speed calculations are short; that these runners were much quicker than reported given the difference in running technique they utilized.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

vdelrosso

The speed calculations are calculated using constants derived from averages.  Part of the formulas originates from stride patterns of a small sampling (12) of recreational distance runners.  Use very large grains of salt when reading the tables.

So we're using constants from a small number of modern day recreational runners to make assumptions about ancient and probably much more fit people?  Does that even really make sense?

How do they take into account the up and down motion of the stride?  If these guys were bounding with exaggerated stride lengths would it affect the calculations?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Except that every high speed animal on planet earth runs with an inline footfall.

The really high speed animals don't use their feet much at all when they're really flying fast, but even the poor earth-bound high speed ones always run with four legs.  Just in case you forgot to count how many legs were involved in your subjects of research.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

dennrunner

The speed calculations are calculated using constants derived from averages.  Part of the formulas originates from stride patterns of a small sampling (12) of recreational distance runners.  Use very large grains of salt when reading the tables.

like a salt lick.

the secret to running much faster can indeed be found in nature:

sport jester

Biomimeticist

The really high speed animals don't use their feet much at all when they're really flying fast, but even the poor earth-bound high speed ones always run with four legs.  Just in case you forgot to count how many legs were involved in your subjects of research.

Obviously you spent little time studying the running techniques of athletes beyond humans.

Maybe you should go research Ma Junren. Given his runners hold world records in the 10K, 3K, and 1,500 meters. While he was accused of doping runners (yet tested negative), everyone seems to forget he studied deer and ostriches. Funny that since no one has yet to break his runner's records, your criticism is pretty funny actually...

Ostriches are the second fastest athlete on planet earth, and there are multiple people besides myself studying them for human application.

Given 70% of runners injure themselves, pretty much sums up how little you've contributed...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's what I like -- some nice insults! Most of the other threads lack these kind of sniping, nasty ad hominem attacks, and are therefore quite boring in comparison. Go Jester! I'm definitely a fan.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

To off-topic for a minute, it looks here like Anton moves his arms less than most road racers?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

To off-topic for a minute, it looks here like Anton moves his arms less than most road racers?

Its not off topic, its perfectly in the same lines that are important for anyone running. Energy expended in arm swing is wasted energy. While most coaches will gladly tell you how to swing your arms properly, they'll never tell you why you need to swing your arms. Your video link shows what running with minimal energy expenditure looks like.

Cool video, thanks for the post.

Why is it sideways?

Lane

I am posting this video for two reasons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGojEyYBmwc

1) Jester, it seems like you're advocating a running form similar to the "flightless bird"

2) I just really think this video is funny and although I think it's been posted in this forum before, I don't want anyone to miss it.

JimR

I just really think this video is funny and although I think it's been posted in this forum before, I don't want anyone to miss it.

It has, and I'll laugh every time it's posted.Big grin

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Sure the video was cute, and I laughed as well. You're "flightless bird" runner in no way was running flightless. True bipedal runners run with an inline foot fall, which your video example doesn't do, so there's no comparison at all. A true flightless bird relies on biomechanic symmetry in leg motion to run given it has no functional counterbalance ability as your running example is still requires to utilize.

this video clip shows how emu's walk and extrapolate to running, which is why the Aborigines mimick it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVxQZTxDBzU

Even the comments make reference to a "catwalk", which has no similarity in biomechanics. Because all cats run inline as well, hence the name. The difference in biomechanic processes is what I teach.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just curious...what are the speed and distance numbers for an emu?  Do they do endurance events, or just sprints?

sport jester

Biomimeticist

Ostriches and Emus are both endurance and sprint runners. Their survival skill is why I studied them specifically.

Humans are limited in track running by the fact that we slow down in the curve portions of a race.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/6/971.abstract

http://www.jbiomech.com/article/S0021-9290(05)00219-8/abstract

These two birds are documented in ability to increase in speeds in curve running; that's how they survive, by the ability to out cut a predator to force them to expend more energy by running in an almost zig zag pattern until they give up the chase.

http://jeb.biologists.org/content/210/6/971.abstract

http://www.jbiomech.com/article/S0021-9290(05)00219-8/abstract