Run/Walk a 3:30 Marathon? John Stanton's plans (Read 298 times)

Chasing the bus

FWIW, been playing with run/walk and low HR for a coupla months during this base phase, and I was surprised. Even capping HR at 131, I can usually run/walk the same average pace over the same distance, at least out to 10-12 miles, at an easy pace. At tempo or race pace, I don't know yet.

Yeah, wow. I like the feeling of settling into a pace and really getting locked in, and this walk-run thing would just destroy that.

Sometimes it does feel like that, and sometimes it feels good to just take a break, especially now that I know I can, without seriously impacting my average pace...again at easy paces.

Planning to run my first half next month. Still not sure if I'll run solid or run/walk it.

Good luck!

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
    Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

My experience in past marathons corroborates what some of the others have been saying.  The times when I "opted" to walk in the later stages of a marathon (meaning my body told me it was ready to quit this foolishness), I discovered that walking was just as painful as running, and resuming running was even more painful after walking for a while.  In other words, I much prefer finding a suitable pace and sticking to it throughout.  Of course, the main thing that will make a marathon easier is adequate training.  Maybe even run/walk training; I haven't actually tried it.

I'll just add that if you want to run/walk, you need to train that way - for the running, the walking, *and* the transitions in both directions.

If you're on a hilly course, then run/walk by terrain, not by time.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I doubt the run/walk would work. Here are my thought:

1. During the marathon race, the legs are just too tired in the last 6 miles. I doubt I would be able to reboot to the speed after slowing down to walk. The momentum would just be gone.

2. During the training, when I do intervals, such as 3 x 1mi @5K. I noticed that my average pace for the whole run is about the same as I do general aerobic run. However, I feel much much harder to do an interval than doing a general aerobic run.

Somewhere I read that the even pace (including a small negative split) is the most energy efficient in the marathon race.

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

SubDood

I did my own variation on the run/walk theme last fall with some success. I stopped to walk at every water station long enough to drink the entire cup of water during the 2012 Twin Cities Marathon (is that the race you are training for, Duckworth?). I also stopped for 2 (maybe 3?) potty breaks along the way. I finished in 3:21Tight lippedx.  This is perhaps not quite the same as the Stanton run/walk program, but the walking was definitely an intentional part of my race plan, and I trained this way over the summer leading up to the race. [I also ran a 1:33 half marathon leading up to the marathon in which I employed this same strategy. It seemed to work for me.]

Some factors that played into my decision to use this strategy: In my only 2 marathons prior to this, I did not walk at all. I suffered severe leg cramps (once during the race, the other immediately afterwards). I believe that the brief walking breaks in my 3rd attempt gave my legs just enough of a break (by using different muscles, maybe) to prevent the onset of cramps. Obviously, the steady hydration didn't hurt, either.  Yes, it is difficult to start up running again after each break, especially later in the race. However, doing it every few miles during the race makes it much less of a shock. I think I may have walked for the last time around mile 22 or 23. I finished strong, felt great afterwards, and experienced no cramping at any point. And I'm at least 16 years older than I was for those first 2 attempts.

All that said, I'm using the Running Wizard program now for a June marathon, and I feel like my base is much, much better than it was a year ago. As a result, I do not plan to employ walking breaks for my next marathon, hoping to take off some time. We'll see how that goes.

Good luck!

Interesting experience

5k - 20:56 (09/12), 7k - 28:40 (11/12), 10k trial - 43:08  (03/13), 42:05 (05/13), FM - 3:09:28 (05/13), HM - 1:28:20 (05/14), Failed 10K trial - 6:10/mi for 4mi (08/14), FM - 3:03 (09/14)

juniordo1

Duckworth,

I just plunked some hard earned scratch down for Twin Cities. Call me crazy but I'm going to give it a shot.

In my first marathon I practiced walking 1 minute at every water stop interval on runs over 13 miles. I felt this served me well for training and remaining heathy but I longed for the strength the lady in front of me at the halway point had. She smiled and took off like i wasn't even trying and I never saw her again after the loop at around 16 miles. She didn't walk at all that I saw. I stalked the group she ran with the first half.

I think run/walk serves a purpose for some but I am shooting for all running this time. I'm looking forward to the big race atmosphere and am planning to finish strong for the first race my family will witness me finishing.

I won't be shooting for sub 3:30 but I'll be chasing you!

Cheers!

juniordo1

2013 -Sub 2:00 for 1/2 marathon

runningprofesora

My husband's group is made up of runners who are running 3:30s using the Galloway method. They swear by it and say they couldn't get those times running straight through. I PR'd my last marathon (3:52) using the method. The method definitely has its perks.