RW to buy RT (Read 439 times)

Scout7

http://dailynews.runnersworld.com/ Lot of ticked off people over this one.....
    Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

You're right. I'm slightly peeved about this one since Running Times is far more informative than Runner's World.
      Scout7

I understand that ultimately, the two are geared to slightly different customers (RT tends to be more technical, RW tends to the more casual side). But over the years, RW has really gone downhill (IMHO); too many ads, not enough articles. My big concern is that RW is going to either eliminate RT, or reduce the content. I like the RT website, the forums are usually pretty decent, there's always good training information.....
        JakeKnight

I understand that ultimately, the two are geared to slightly different customers (RT tends to be more technical, RW tends to the more casual side). But over the years, RW has really gone downhill (IMHO); too many ads, not enough articles. My big concern is that RW is going to either eliminate RT, or reduce the content. I like the RT website, the forums are usually pretty decent, there's always good training information.....
          Well, according to your link - if you can believe them, you don't have anything to worry about:
          Running Times and RunningTimes.com will continue to operate independently under editor in chief Jonathan Beverly and Carol Lassetter-Rice, who will remain publisher during a transition period. "Jonathan and his team of editors and writers are doing a great job serving the Running Times readers," said Runner's World editor in chief David Willey. "We want them to continue what they're doing, while the RW editors stay focused on Runner's World."
          Personally I appreciate both of them and hope neither changes. This analogy will make no sense if you're not a cigar nut, but RW and RT are just about perfectly analogous to Cigar Aficionado and Cigar Magazine. The former is a glossy pub full of "good life" articles and pretty pictures; the second talks only about detailed cigar info. Exactly like here, some people hate one and some hate the other. I love 'em both. Same goes here. Then again, I fear change. And spiders.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
          -----------------------------

Scout7

Monkeyman, I do see your point. And while it's nice that they make claims like that, time will tell as to how well the two integrate, or to what extent. And like I said, they both serve a distinct purpose, and there's nothing wrong with either.
            Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

Immediately before what JK quoted was this:
              "Our primary goal is to provide Running Times and RunningTimes.com with the resources to enhance their already solid positions," said Hersam. "For our advertisers and marketing partners, the addition of Running Times to the Runner's World family gives us over 6 million impressions a month."
              I'm wondering if there will be more ads in future issues of RT. I hope that RW will be true to its words and leave RT alone. For now, I'm skeptically hopeful.