Which do you prefer... (Read 889 times)

Long runs or speed workouts? Maybe because it's been a while since I've done one and I'm missing them....I prefer speed workouts.

Michelle

long runs. Big grin anyday, anytime. I dread speedwork and only do the minimum prescribed. Tongue

Jennifer mm#1231

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm a sprinter at heart. I loves me some speed workouts. Unfortunately I was limited last year, as I did something to my achilles after my first hill workout of the Spring. And now with all the snow on the ground it's dangerous to do more than run at a mellow pace. But as soon as we have some warmer stretches I'll be back. I love going fast. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think I'm a sprinter at heart too and this winter weather is getting in the way of a good speed workout.

Michelle

JillyBeans

Jiggle, jiggle, jiggle.

long runs.....
            "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step."
              I vote long runs. I am working on getting my 5k runs down to 7 minute miles but I never look forward to those as much as my long runs.
              USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
              Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

More often than not, I'd go for speedwork. I like running fast. However, there are times when I'm just in the mood to go long and steady.
                  I vote long runs. I am working on getting my 5k runs down to 7 minute miles but I never look forward to those as much as my long runs.
                  I'm working on getting my 5k down to 7 minute miles on a consistent basis and this challege is hovering over me. I think out of frustration I look forward to speed workouts to help me reach the goal once and for all!!

Michelle

I get more excited about doing a speed workout than a long run, but I believe they are both very important. If I had to pick one over the other as being most important I’d give the edge to the long run. Low mileage with lots of speed doesn’t work for me, but I can do pretty well without a lot of speed work if I keep the miles up. Combining both produces the best results.
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Dave

How about fast finish long runs. Sort of the best of both worlds. My 11 miler today was 5 slow, 5 fast, 1 recovery. I think I'm going to do about every third long run that way. I get bored a bit on long runs past about 90 minutes and this lets me get the mileage without all the boredom.

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Long runs. "Speed" is not one of my abilities. I've never run a mile faster than 10:30 in my life. I still love running, though! I do speedwork occasionally when I'm with a group, and I'm hoping to do more as I develop more aerobic capacity. Teresa

A Saucy Wench

long runs fo' sho' I'm one of those people who dont feel like I really get moving until about 5 miles.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How about fast finish long runs. Sort of the best of both worlds.
                            The BEST thing...kicking it in for that last .5-1 mile in a HM and passing a whole bunch of people who spent most of the race just ahead. I spent 12 miles looking at their backs, then I return the favor. Nothing better than burning every last bit of fuel in the tank in a glorious finish. I just hope I can muster something like that up when I run a marathon. I want to finish strong. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Long runs...I really enjoy runs over an hour...actually I prefer runs longer than 2 hours but currently my conditioning and weekly mileage doesn't allow it.

Life is Good

Long runs! Probably the reason my times stink! But hey you asked Smile

Run 1000 miles

bike 500 miles

finish a half Ironman triathlon

Warrior dash 2012

Chickamauga battlefield half 2012

and a few small races in between