Quality Cycling cross training sessions (Read 1416 times)

Surely this has been asked, but I can't manage to find the thread... I'm looking for adding 1 quality cycling workout a week to my schedule. This would be indoors while the weather remains awful, then move outdoors as things spruce up. The goal of cycling is to improve my running ability; no tri's, no cycling races, just the best workout to complement running. I currently have 2 quality running days, and one quality swim day. I would like to add cycling while I work on slowly raising my millage.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com

jules2

I run and I cycle but I don't think that one cycling session a week would do anything much for your running. The time might be better spent doing core body exercises, stretching etc.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

Thanks Jules. I already spend quite a bit of time stretching and working on core exercises. I these almost daily. I have been reading that cycling is the best cross training exercise for runners and would like to get a workout in. I currently do two hard swimming workouts a week and want to substitute one of those for cycling. I don't see how one could hurt, unless I injured myself. E.g. (not sure where pulled this from) Quality Time Fleshman does two high-intensity rides a week in addition to her hard running workouts. For most runners, however, adding one indoor or outdoor hard cycling session is fine. If you run four to seven days a week, replace one easy run with a high-intensity ride (see “Pedal Power,” below). For runners who routinely log 35 miles or more a week, cycling is especially beneficial because frequency of running is one reason for injuries. If you run two or three days a week, add one high-intensity ride to your routine without dropping a run.

jules2

I suppose it all depends why you want to do it and how long the session is and how hard it is. I cycle almost everyday ( but only post my mileage every couple of weeks ) and I'm still a crap runner. I could understand more if you were injured and wanted to keep your fitness but couldn't run. As a rule of thumb an hours running is equal to say three hours cycling. I've heard that pool running is good but personally I wouldn't try it as I'd feel a pratt but have you thought about substituting one of your swimming sessions for that instead?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

protoplasm72

6 days of running > 5 days of running and 1 day of cycling > 5 days of running Or to put it another way, don't replace a day of running with cycling unless you can't run that frequently without injuring yourself. The best way to improve your running is by running.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Thanks for the tips. That's exactly my plan though, to cross train and eventually run 6, instead of 5 days. I feel like that's a bit of a way off. Let's assume I run 5 days a week regardless of how often I cycle to ensure I'm not getting injured. I'm being conservative and slowly raising the number of miles. Accordingly, 5 runs + 1 cycling workout + 1 swimming workout > 5 runs. I'd like to make the more of the cycling must I usually just bike, or spin, etc. without a set goal. Isn't there a equivalent of a tempo run, or repeats, or something along those lines for a bike? Any good suggestions for a good hard 45 min - 60 min cycling workout?

protoplasm72

Biking is a lot like running. You don't want to do speed work when you are at a very low volume. If you are only doing 1 workout a week and it is an interval workout then you are more likely to injure yourself. I'm currently doing 4 rides a week; 1 long (2-3 hours), 1 interval (30-40 minutes), and 2 constant effort (45-60 minutes). Since I'm all on the trainer during the winter my interval workout is just the big chain ring and then cycling through the rear cogs. I always mix up the order and time between rests. I might spend 1 minute on each gear going hard moving up the gears in order till it gets to hard or I run out of gears, then drop down to an easy gear and rest for 2 minutes and do it again. Or I jump from a hard gear to an easy gear but try to keep my speed the same. Basically just don't let your legs get used to 1 thing cause outside the terrain is always changing.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

What you're saying makes sense. I suppose I was looking for a shortcut, or at least benefits without the base. I think I'm going to stick with swimming as the cross training for now because I can get quite a bit more quality workout out of it. I won't add cycling until I can add more than a single day. No sense hurting myself over something like that. Thanks for the tips / suggestions.