garmin interval questions (Read 173 times)

Nuinta

I've started doing speedwork for the first time.  I'm doing a running-wizard plan, and i like looking at data.  (honestly i don't always know what to DO with it, but I like looking at it Smile).  Any suggestions on how to setup my garmin for intervals? I really want to know how to look at the info on the computer ... today I ran strides, 10x100m, (well, i did 9), but did them by feel; i'm curious what my pace during them averaged.  Same with some of the interval workouts I've done recently.  when I look at the data on running ahead, it just shows my intervals were between 5 and 10 min/mi.  on the garmin training center, the graphs are so jagged, its hard to see an average.  is there something out there that will let me say, ok, here are my intervals, start here end here, next one is here to here, etc, what was my average pace per interval, what was my average pace over all intervals?

I know I can set up the garmin to help me with my intervals on the road, so that it gives me start and stop beeps, but don't know then how to override it if i want to continue my recovery jog longer, or conversely, end it sooner.

Thanks!

an amazing likeness

Sure.

Easy.

Or not.

Depending on what model Garmin you have.

Most of the Forerunners have interval workouts built into the device, under the Training section of the menu.  You simply tell it how many intervals, how much time (or distance) between them and if you want warm-up and/or cool-down time before and after.  Press start and off you go.

For many of the models, you can also setup a workout with all the details in Garmin Connect and download it to the device.  Press start...go.

Or, you can go dead on simple, and press lap at the start and end of each of your intervals and you'll see the pace for each segment broken out in the data after you upload it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Setup advanced workouts in training center and schedule the workouts and send to your watch.  Setup your intervals to match the distance you are running for that workout, or you can go with "When  I press the lap button on my device" for the "When will this step end"  field.  Then if you do use that lap button correctly, you get accurate interval data.

Or do what MT suggested and just the lap button

Not dead. Yet.

I don't have one of the upper end watches that does workouts (yet), so I just turn off auto-lap and push the button to start and end the lap at the beginning and end of interval.

It's kind of a pain and sometimes I forget to start or end it which screws everything from that point forward up.  It also doesn't show me the length of the current interval but instead shows me my total mileage, so I have to add the interval distance to the start mileage to figure out when to stop.

Can't wait till I get my 620.  Smile

How can we know our limits if we don't test them?

As far as post-run analysis goes, the data you get from your Garmin when doing strides is pretty useless. Your pace barely levels off by the time you finish each one and they are too short for the Garmin to be very accurate anyway.

The longer the intervals, the more meaningful they will be when you look at the data later.

Runners run

Just use the lap button. I do have a high-end garmin (for the barometric altimeter), but in practice, I use it mostly as a watch when doing whatever.

Strides are about form and running relaxed. I generally use landmarks about 20-30 sec apart and strive for same time each lap. I do use the lap button to record start and end.

As mikeymike mentioned, short things like strides, 10-sec repeats, whatever, are too short to get any meaningful pace or HR data. (In fact, HR data will show higher on the recovery than the work bout, because of the delays.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

Feeling the growl again

Don't bother trying to use pace data from any segment shorter than a quarter mile...and really half a mile if you want to believe it.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Just to to illustrate how meaningless garmin pace is here is my track workout from last night. While I may have crossed out of lane 1 to go round walkers and kids it doesn't account for some of the discrepencies in pace-and I have a high end garmin. The only two measurements that are accurate are my manual splits and the length of the track.

All that said, if this is your first time doing speedwork I wouldn't get hung up on length of your 100M. If 95M or 105M it's no big deal. Just try to learn how to keep the efforts consistent and not over do it. Understand your garmin is nothing more than a rough guide and improvement will come if you are consistent.

4 Interval 0.25 mi 1:30.79 21:46.30 6:04     400M
                    5 Interval 0.13 mi 1:30.15 23:16.45 11:34      
                    6 Interval 0.26 mi 1:32.57 24:49.02 5:57     400M
                    7 Interval 0.14 mi 1:25.35 26:14.37 10:10      
                    8 Interval 0.26 mi 1:32.50 27:46.87 5:56     400M
                    9 Interval 0.13 mi 1:31.33 29:18.20 11:43      
                    10 Interval 0.26 mi 1:28.50 30:46.70 5:41     400M
                    11 Interval 0.14 mi 1:22.20 32:08.90 9:48      
                    12 Interval 0.25 mi 1:26.37 33:35.27 5:46     400M
                    13 Interval 0.13 mi 1:28.33 35:03.60 11:20      
                    14 Interval 0.25 mi 1:28.55 36:32.15 5:55     400M
                    15 Interval 0.13 mi 1:32 38:04.15 11:48      
                    16 Interval 0.25 mi 1:25.19 39:29.34 5:41     400M
                    17 Interval 0.13 mi 1:31.46 41:00.80 11:44      
                    18 Interval 0.25 mi 1:24.83 42:25.63 5:40     400M
                    19 Interval 0.13 mi 1:32.28 43:57.91 11:50      
                    20 Interval 0.26 mi 1:25.45 45:23.36 5:29     400M
                    21 Interval 0.14 mi 1:33.75 46:57.11 11:10      
                    22 Interval 0.26 mi 1:23.15 48:20.26 5:20     400M
                    23 Interval 0.13 mi 1:28.07 49:48.33 11:18      
                    24 Interval 0.26 mi 1:23.53 51:11.86 5:22     400M
                    25 Interval 0.13 mi 1:24.10 52:35.96 10:47      
                    26 Interval 0.26 mi 1:15.90 53:51.86 4:52     400M
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Don't bother trying to use pace data from any segment shorter than a quarter mile...and really half a mile if you want to believe it.

This.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

elodie.kaye

If you want to have a gauge of your progress do your strides back and forth over the same segment of road, with landmarks at each end.  Note the start and finish points in your log.  You won't be able to get useful pace information, but at least you have a basis for comparison later in the training cycle.  I wouldn't do all (or even most) of my strides this way, but seeing where your interval ends has a different effect than judging by time.

Nuinta

Thanks for all the suggestions! I think I will try to start out Hitting the lap button at the start and end of intervals like you suggested ... Atl least that will get me started.  Thanks for all the suggestions!

Any suggestions on how to setup my garmin for intervals? I really want to know how to look at the info on the computer ... Is there something out there that will let me say, ok, here are my intervals, start here end here, next one is here to here, etc, what was my average pace per interval, what was my average pace over all intervals?

I tend to set up my track workouts with the rep distance slightly long (e.g. 420m if I'm doing 400m repeats).  (FWIW, my recoveries are usually specific times, not distances.)  That way, I can let the GPS "beep-beep-beep-BEEEEEP" to start each rep, but then I press the Lap button as I cross the line to ensure that each rep is the same 400m, one to the next.  Then I let the watch time my recovery interval and beep me into the next rep.

During the workout, I have Lap Time displayed -- basically, using the GPS like a stopwatch.  I don't look for pace data when running, but I will have an idea of what time I should be passing the 200m mark, for example.

As for "pace", I don't look at the data for that afterward, either.  If I'm running repeats, I care about hitting my time target and being consistent throughout the workout.  And you can get the auto-calculated pace data from that column in the RA workout entry, anyway.

I know I can set up the garmin to help me with my intervals on the road, so that it gives me start and stop beeps, but don't know then how to override it if i want to continue my recovery jog longer, or conversely, end it sooner.

To override and end that segment early, just press Lap.  No way to stretch a segment of a pre-programmed Garmin workout, though.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau