any overpronaters who really dislike heavy stability shoes? (just visited a new running shop) (Read 791 times)

Am I the only overpronater here that finds running in high stablity shoes very uncomfortable? So I tried out this new shop today. First thing when I arrive I find it odd that they charge you a $10 fitting fee if you don't buy shoes WTF? I inform them that I have great difficulty in running in shoes with a freaking wedge stuck in your heel. I go through the fitting process. I am presented with a couple pairs of borderline motion control shoes. The worker was only interested in watching me walk in them. I tried to ask that if being a mid footstriker changes my mechanics at all. I was told that everything they needed to see they could see while walking. I quickly realized I didn't like any choices offered to me. Their tone towards me then changed. If I didn't want to run in the shoes they where offering, I was almost toxic. It was as if I was conducting some horrible experiment that they could not in clear conscience participate in. If I didn't run in those shoes I was going to seriously hurt myself. Obviously strong stability shoes would greatly decrease my chance of injury just becuase I wouldn't run in them! No more advice or help in finding shoes was offered, I was told if I wanted to try any other shoe I could look at what they had on the wall and they would bring it out. Some interesting things I was told... Stability shoes are uncomfortable because they don't offer me ENOUGH support? If I got even MORE supporting shoes that they would be more comfortable? WTF?? If shoes are the correct shoe for me shouldn't they be comfortable? I asked if they had Newton shoes the response was "We don't believe in their technology" WTF Then there was this one "if you where a true mid foot striker it wouldn't matter if there was a heel post" Why couldn't he understand when I told that I was not able to midfoot strike with those bricks offered up as shoes? And finally my favorite was when I asked about Vibram 5 Fingers, I was told that I shouldn't run barefoot at all. All this took place at a very well respected running store. I am getting frustrated! Is there no place out there to help me? O yea btw I picked up a pair of Saucony's Progrid Guide shoes. I sure hope they are tolerable.

Imminent Catastrophe

Man, you really need to find a better store. That place sounds really bad, there really is no excuse for that poor customer service, it sounds like a bad used car dealership. If you live in Southern Cal like your username suggests, you have a lot of good stores to choose from. Post the name of the store, so others can avoid that place. MTA: and you'd probably get some good recommendations on good stores in your area. If we knew your area, that is. Their advice sounds really bad.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I live close to San Benardino. I am not sure if I should give the name out or not... I don't fit the norm when it comes to shoes. Those that do might find this place very usefull.
          It sounds like the people working at the store were only about half-educated when it comes to the whole shoe fitting ordeal. From your description, it also sounds like they could use some pointers in customer service. If you don't mind, can you remember some of the names of the shoes that were brought out? Addiction, Beast, Renegade? I'm also curious to know exactly what you mean by uncomfortable; uncomfortable in what way? Now, forgive me, but I'm going to play devil's advocate a bit since I work at a running specialty store. What they probably meant about the midfoot striking is that someone who runs like that is going to get the same support out of a neutral shoe, like the Defyance, as they would out of a more supportive shoe, like the Adrenaline. That's because if you truly run more to the midfoot, you're not really making use of the medial post. I will grant, however, that some of the serious support shoes feel like tanks on the feet. As far as Newtons, it's probably a cost thing. The shoes are wicked expensive, and I have a feeling that they'd be a poor seller when compared to something in the $120 range that they would likely be paired with. Personally, I'm not convinced the Newtons would be better than any other shoe I've run in, and until I get the chance to run in them for a while, I'm sticking to it. The Vibram 5 Fingers are kind of in the same boat, with an additional caveat. I think that barefoot running has its place and for some people it will work out really well, but I also think that it's not for everyone. Selling the Nike Free is risky enough considering how many people buy it, listen to the spiel about easing into it and not doing too much too soon, then come back 3 weeks later with all kinds of injuries. Basically, I can see where you're coming from, but I also see where they're coming from as well. I don't think they're all idiots, they were probably just trained a certain way and weren't willing to think outside the box. For example, perhaps you could try a less supportive shoe paired with a good arch support like Superfeet or Powerstep? That can sometimes work just as well as a heavier support shoe, but with less bulk. Of course, one thing I can't defend is the $10 fitting fee. That fact alone basically ruins the store for me, unless they're all practicing physical therapists or some other special thing like that. I also can't defend the poor service. When someone hates all the shoes I bring out, I just do my best to get something they like in the next batch.
            I remember Ascis Gel Foundation and some new balance shoe... it was 1000 something or other. (It was one of NBs most stable shoes) Most stability shoes cause a lot of pressure to the front inside of my heel. Also when running in them I feel as though I can't feel the ground, causing me to pound the ground as I go... really increasing the impact in my joints. Also with the heavy stability shoes I feel like I am forced into a heel strike. If I try to mid foot run in them it feels as though I am on my very tip toes. I feel as though I need something that gives me more forefoot stability and less heel stability. I do realize that Newtons are overpriced and not well known and probably not great sellers. I would want to spend time in them before committing to buying, however the reasoning that I got back as to why they don't carry them was surprising.
              O yea I also did pick up some superfeet that I am going to try in some neutral shoes that I already have. I also want it known that I don't think these people where stupid or uneducated at all. They where just overly trained for approaching this shoe fitting thing just one certain way.
                When I wear the really heavy stability shoes, I start to get aches in my ITB within 15 minutes, and I'm very familiar with that feeling you're talking about. One pretty good way to know if someone is over-supported is to listen when they're running; the shoes will slap the ground since the foot isn't able to really move it. As you mentioned, they just seemed unwilling to look for a creative solution to the problem at hand. Sometimes there's a shoe for the foot you're looking at, but sometimes none of the shoes will work and you need to come up with something clever. I bet the Superfeet will end up working just fine.
                  When I wear the really heavy stability shoes, I start to get aches in my ITB within 15 minutes, and I'm very familiar with that feeling you're talking about. One pretty good way to know if someone is over-supported is to listen when they're running; the shoes will slap the group since the foot isn't able to really move it. As you mentioned, they just seemed unwilling to look for a creative solution to the problem at hand. Sometimes there's a shoe for the foot you're looking at, but sometimes none of the shoes will work and you need to come up with something clever. I bet the Superfeet will end up working just fine.
                  Did you mean slap the ground? That's what happens to me! I am an over-pronator and I have orthotics. The orthotics correct me perfectly and I have also been wearing Saucony Omni Grids. I got a new pair of Omni's (6) and my feet slapped. Mostly on the right side and my right piriformis started giving me all kinds of trouble. Went back to the orthotics guy and he said the shoe make was fine but I needed a 1/2 size larger. I also tried the Saucony Progrid Guide and my problems got worse! With the orthotics and the stability shoes, could I be over-doing it?

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Jazz hands!

O yea I also did pick up some superfeet that I am going to try in some neutral shoes that I already have.
                    That was my solution exactly--I pronate a bit. The first running store I went to put me in neutral shoes, and they worked fine while I finished C25K and almost to the end of OHR, but then I started getting knee problems. A different running store put me in Brooks Addictions, which are basically running bricks. They were okay--felt clunky but fixed my knee problems--until I started training for a 10k and then they did horrible things to my hips and my arches. Despaired, bought some Superfeet Green. Put them in the stability shoes--eh. Tried 'em out in the neutral shoes--amazing. Stable enough to not give me knee problems (also, I started doing more quad exercises), neutral enough to not give me hip problems.
                    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                      With the orthotics and the stability shoes, could I be over-doing it?
                      Hahah, I did mean slap the ground. It's definitely possible that you're over-supporting yourself, and the piriformis problem could potentially be the evidence for that. You might want to try just the orthotics in neutral shoes, or just the Omnis.
                        For those that need a lot of stability do stability shoes feel good when you wear them? Who knows maybe they are supposed to be unconfortable and I am just being a wuss about the whole thing.
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Sometimes there's a shoe for the foot you're looking at, but sometimes none of the shoes will work and you need to come up with something clever. I bet the Superfeet will end up working just fine.
                          This is what I learned about my own needs through trial and error. I ran for a long while in the NB 902 with no problems, but eventually needed more stability. Tried going back to a more moderate stability, "beefier" shoe...which made my knee issues better, but started to anger my peroneal tendons and shins, since I was fighting a relatively inflexible forefoot, compared to the 902s. So the solution was Superfeet in my 902s. This way I get the great fit and flexibility of the 902, but with a bit more rear and midfoot support. I ran my marathon in that combo and it was golden. Not even a single blister or hot spot. For some of us there is no "perfect shoe," but finding something close and then tweaking the function and fit with orthotics/insoles is the magic solution. Chris, I hope you can find a store to help you find your perfect fit...it can get expensive to experiment. I ran into the local (and by local I mean "only" an hour away) running store not carrying wides reliably, so I have ended up ordering online a fair amount. Luckily we do have a NB store an hour away, too, and they generally carry wide widths in all models. I've kind of given up trying other brands since I have never had a non-NB shoe fit my goofy feet well. Good luck. This stuff can really be a trial-and-error deal for a long time. It took me 2.5 years before I found the ideal solution...and for the first year or so of my running my needs changed a bit as my legs strengthened and I increased my miles. Shoe models also change so often that this can make it difficult to settle on a shoe. It's enough to drive a person nutty AND broke.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay