What to do with old shoes? (Read 1029 times)

I run for Fried Chicken!

What does everyone do with old shoes? I retired some shoes a few weeks ago and they look perfectly fine. Seems like a waste to just throw them out. I don't like them enough to wear them as an everyday shoe. Any other ideas?

Another Passion

I cut my grass in mine or relegate them as fishing shoes. I don't actually use them as fish bait, I don't think I would catch anything, but rather, WEAR them when I am fishing. Big grin

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Lawn shoes, generally. Some that aren't in too bad of shape will get some screws put in the bottom for lake running in the winter. I don't generally keep them, though, because they are so broken down that I don't want to get an injury by walking around in them a lot. See if there is any local recycling centers that will take them. The rubber soles can be used to create tracks and such.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

I don't have personal experience with any of these programs, but found this general listing: http://www.runtheplanet.com/shoes/selection/recycle.asp

E.J.
          Greater Lowell Road Runners
          Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

I use them on cross training/weight days. I don't need all the cushioning on the bike or eliptical like when I'm running.
            "If I control myself, I control my destiny."
              Lawn mowing.

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright

You can donate them to organizations that re sole them and donate them.
                2009: BQ?
                  I use them at the gym... Cheaper than buying cross-trainers and more comfortable... and the lessened cushioning doesn't seem to affect me on a treadmill or elliptical.....
                  Carl A

Nike has a Reuse-a-Shoe program. In the left menu, clicking on United States, and then Drop-off Locations, will get you to a map of places you can leave the old stinkers.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

i donate some, keep some for rafting/camping/dog walking/gardening shoes. also the ones i've only ever run in never really get smelly, so i have in the past cleaned up the outsides and piled a bunch of pairs into a giant basket for a big object-object matching work in my classroom. sometimes it can actually be pretty challenging-- from year-to-year, some models only change very slightly. i've had kids checking out the wear patterns on the soles trying to make a match when they weren't sure. it's been a pretty popular work in the past before (lots of visual discrimination and detail discrimination skill involved, reinforces Left & Right, appeals to the tactile sense also and the naturalist sense of order, etc, and it ties into our nutrition/exercise/health studies, and can be tied into topics on measuring distance, mileage, etc), but i have to feel the parents out on that sort of work year-to-year. sometimes the parents are way more skeeved out about the handling of ms. michele's old running shoes than the kids are, ha. i can't believe i am admitting i've done that to anyone outside of montessori. but y'all are runners. maybe you'll understand my sneaker-love, too.

My local shoe store now recycles them to a shelter or to get ground up and reused (if they are in really bad shape): http://news.runtowin.com/2008/01/11/maine-running-company-now-recycles-your-old-running-shoes.html I've already offloaded a half dozen pairs of shoes (between my wife and I)

Run to Win
                        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

finney

Resident pinniped

Mine become every day shoes, cross training shoes, or they go to Goodwill if they still look decent and have enough life left in them to walk around in.