Racing often - race day magic (Read 213 times)

SheCan

It's fun.

I'm NEVER going to win a race.  I don't go into the pain cave, and even if I try to peak, I may or may not do any better the last.  I guess, maybe I like just having people cheer me along.  Get to pretend I'm like a superstar or something. I also like encouraging others.  Plus I get to work on my hoarding and accumulate more t-shirts.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

To me, enrolling in a race makes sense for one of these two reasons: 1- try to win the race, or 2- get an official time on my running to objectively calculate my performance as a runner.

Commenters have said "fun," and others have talked about the weekend race being a community, a "church." As a pastor, I don't get to race much - I have plenty of Saturday and Sunday work responsibilities - but let me affirm both responses. I love races and the community I experience there in ways similar to how I love church and the community I experience there.

Running in races, particularly regularly, builds a sense of participation in a broader community, particularly one that is not limited to one's neighborhood or workplace. I love the camaraderie and spirit of races. Especially in a day and age when life is more fragmented, the sense of community in a race is wonderful ... even euphoric. You'll talk with people, enjoy music, encourage and get encouraged by, share a drink afterwards ... all with people you know, and with people you didn't know until that moment. It is fantastic.

And when you run a big race, and people are running in honor of friends who have died in war or who have died from cancer, or you're running alongside of injured veterans and cancer survivors, it is hard to run and not feel an immense sense of meaning and power ... and shed a few tears as well. It is moving, on many levels.

And yes ... then there's the actual race-for-a-PR thing. That's good too, I guess.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

I'm NEVER going to win a race.  I don't go into the pain cave, and even if I try to peak, I may or may not do any better the last.  I guess, maybe I like just having people cheer me along.  Get to pretend I'm like a superstar or something. I also like encouraging others.  Plus I get to work on my hoarding and accumulate more t-shirts.

I feel the same way. I race for fun. My goal is usually to run as fast as I comfortably can. Long runs are also much more fun with crowd support and swag. Big grin

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

CT JEFF

I was running TMiles for years. Years before I tried a race. But I was inconsistent. 6 months on, 3 months off. (repeat) My first race, gave me a longer term goal. Knowing there is another race, even 3-6 months away that I plan on doing, helps me stay consistent.

I tend to focus on {some combination of} 3 things when looking for a race

1.  Date. Some days of the week / times are easier for me
          2. Location. Some races are 0-10 minutes from home. Others I need to plan a weekend around. 
          3. Other. Distance? Friends? Value. Cause. Uniqueness. BLING!

I ran my first FM, then first HM the next weekend last year. There are so many races I cant attend. Id love to race more. I feel a bit jealous at a race when I hear a group talking about the race they did yesterday, or last weekend, as well as what they are doing later today, tomorrow or next weekend. I average about a race every 3 weeks in the summer. I like training for distance, and then being surprised by a 5K PR a couple weeks before my distance race.

I run most of my races without knowing a sole soul. Im starting to run into people I know more often. I am able to plan out races with friends more often.

I guess if you dont get it, you dont get it. Not every thing is for every one. 

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

NHLA

The feeling I get before a race is not magic.  Its awful.  There is a target on my back because I beat these guys last time but when the race starts all the fear is gone.

Sundays race is a 10k so the starting pace seems slow but its going to start becoming uncomfortable in 2 1/2 miles. I hear a voice in my head saying "would you just try to be a little competitive today."

I try not to run more than six races a year because of the cost.