RunForth question - getting distance wrong (Read 97 times)

redleaf

I ran with two apps going today. Nike+ had me at 5.66 km. RunForth recorded me at 2.01 km. Seems a significant difference. (The Nike+ one is closer to what I actually did)

any help?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Don't suppose you have a watch, so it'd be pointless to say go to the track and lose the mobile device.

Get off my porch

redleaf

Don't suppose you have a watch, so it'd be pointless to say go to the track and lose the mobile device.

Running local streets is far more interesting than the only track close to me. I do have a watch, well, a garmin, but it wasn't charged, so I thought I'd give the apps another chance. This is the first time I tried to have two going at the same time.

HF #4362

AutBatgirl

There are lots of reasons people keep a mobile device handy. I, for instance, have some medical conditions and in case one of them should pop up in the middle of a run it would kind of be nice to be able to get in touch with someone. Watches aren't real handy for that sort of thing.

I've noticed that RunForth seems to be shorting me on mileage, too. I've been meaning to find my Garmin to compare, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If someone has some insight, I'd be interested.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Feeling the growl again

I've noticed that RunForth seems to be shorting me on mileage, too. I've been meaning to find my Garmin to compare, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If someone has some insight, I'd be interested.

I can see a Garmin and an app giving different distance...the Garmin will have better GPS accuracy, I can tell you that for sure...but two apps running on the same phone should be working from the same GPS data.  So it would seem any discrepancy should come from within the app....

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Two GPS apps running at the same time might just be more than the phone can handle.  On the rare occasions that I do use an app, it's My Tracks from Google.  It generates a really nice map and stats, but doesn't link gracefully to RA.  I have to export the track, then import into RA.

redleaf

Two GPS apps running at the same time might just be more than the phone can handle.  On the rare occasions that I do use an app, it's My Tracks from Google.  It generates a really nice map and stats, but doesn't link gracefully to RA.  I have to export the track, then import into RA.

I didn't think of that. Thanks.

HF #4362

kcam

If I don't have my watch I'll sometimes use my phone running one of the various apps to track distance.  I've found them all to be very good at tracking distance and time, no significant 'shorting' that I've noticed.   Maybe make sure your GPS is actually working and 'locked' before starting your run.  "There's an app for that."  Also, I believe if you have an Android phone it should be no problem for two apps to use the GPS signal at once.

I use a Galaxy S3 and apps I've used are Handyrunner, Trimble Navigator, Runkeeper, I'll have to try the Google My Tracks app mentioned above.  One of the problems with GPS on my S3 is that I like to keep my phone in my back pocket.  If I sit down with the phone in that pocket it stresses the connection between the GPS reciever and it's antenna.  Eventually the GPS takes forever to lock or doesn't lock at all.  I have to take apart the phone and clean/re-set the connection (there's a spring-loaded connector that loses it's connectivity).  I no longer sit down with the phone in my back pocket.  Kinda similar to the recent bent iphones problem.

MTA - I see you are using an Apple product.  Only run ONE of those apps at a time!

Feeling the growl again

MTA - I see you are using an Apple product.  Only run ONE of those apps at a time!

Doh, good catch.  RunForth is Apple-only.  Yep, one app at a time only.  You don't need to run two, Apple knows what you need better than you do.  They'll tell you so.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

redleaf

Doh, good catch.  RunForth is Apple-only.  Yep, one app at a time only.  You don't need to run two, Apple knows what you need better than you do.  They'll tell you so.

Yea, I just wanted to see what the difference would be. Hopefully uninstalling all the garmin software on my laptop and trying to hook it up to RA will get that to work again and I won't have to worry about it.

HF #4362

RunForth can be a little finicky if the GPS signal through the phone isn't strong. There are a lot of things that can interfere with this. There should be an update out this year that addresses this potential goofyness.

Creator of RunForth@robraux | shodless.com