arthur lydiard books (Read 1447 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

After seeing a thread the other week I went on to download some of the Lydiard videos and I am very interested in his principles and love to hear how his training has helped athletes of varying distances. As I am a stay at home dad now I have more time to run and am loving going out for longer. 

I want to read some of his stuff, there are quite a few available. Can anyone give me a recommendation? Love to hear your thoughts too.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Here you go, Eddie: click.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Slow-smooth-fast

I really appreciate that! I will have a read.

I do still want a more comprehensive read so if anyone has any recommendations.....Surely with my additional free time and thirst for mileage I can build an aerobic furness.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

You could try the Livingston Book: Healthy Intelligent Training.

You'll even see a mug shot of Nobby in it. 

Here you go, Eddie: click.

Seriously?  That's the best you could do??? ;o)

Okay, the same thing but with footnotes and neat pictures: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/al_training_eng.pdf

How about lecture note: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/pdfs/OSAKALECTURE.pdf

Or how about presentation (though we have changed quite a bit in the last 3 months or so and I'd need to update it): http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/understandinglydiardmethod.aspx

If you're really seriously interested and want to read more, how about these: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/pub_articles.aspx

I really appreciate that! I will have a read.

I do still want a more comprehensive read so if anyone has any recommendations.....Surely with my additional free time and thirst for mileage I can build an aerobic furness.

And seriously?  EVERYTHING I've said out here is based on Lydiard.  You can check out here: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/index.aspx

Or if you actually want to just follow a Lydiard program without using your own brain, here: http://www.running-wizard.com  Some of the part of the program I have shared with you.  I thought I had mentioned about the name "Lydiard" here and there as well if you actually read any of them.

And seriously?  EVERYTHING I've said out here is based on Lydiard.  You can check out here: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/index.aspx

Or if you actually want to just follow a Lydiard program without using your own brain, here: http://www.running-wizard.com  Some of the part of the program I have shared with you.  I thought I had mentioned about the name "Lydiard" here and there as well if you actually read any of them.

um, okay.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

You could try the Livingston Book: Healthy Intelligent Training.

You'll even see a mug shot of Nobby in it. 

...And thanks for the "mug" shot!! ;o)  I forgot to hold the number plate!

Or how about these guys: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/imageLibrary/

um, okay.

O-oh...  Did you find some conflict?  Well, I may have had here and there... ;o)

Or how about these guys: http://www.lydiardfoundation.org/imageLibrary/

No need for the plate. I believe you were smiling.

Slow-smooth-fast

Many thanks for all the resources

Nobby415: Do you consider the marathon training plans from running-wizard better than for example Pfitzinger's from Advanced Marathoning? I'm asking because I have read most of Healthy Intelligent Training and had hoped that I would be able to create a very Lydiard-like training schedule using this book as the basis. However, HIT has made be a bit confused in some areas (it is not structured in a way which appeals to me). I absolutely love Hadd's Approach to Distance Training but this primarily covers the aerobic phase.

Nobby415: Do you consider the marathon training plans from running-wizard better than for example Pfitzinger's from Advanced Marathoning? I'm asking because I have read most of Healthy Intelligent Training and had hoped that I would be able to create a very Lydiard-like training schedule using this book as the basis. However, HIT has made be a bit confused in some areas (it is not structured in a way which appeals to me). I absolutely love Hadd's Approach to Distance Training but this primarily covers the aerobic phase.

Pabstars:

You do realize that Pfitzinger's plan is quite a bit Lydiardesque anyway.  It's a very good program that seem to have worked very well with very many people who had tried it.  I consider our Running Wizard to be more flexible; meaning, we offer anything between 12 to 24 weeks (longer for marathon if you're a beginner) instead of Pfitz's 18 or 20 weeks...  Target distance as well--I believe Pfitz's goes something like "if you run 50 miles a week, then this plan..."  A problem with that is; I've found that often people pick the plan on wishful thinking ("I'm shooting to go 50MPW by the time I start the marathon program...").  RW goes by the longest duration that you can handle comfortably now and the rest would take care of itself.  We wouldn't know how many miles, or kilometers, you would run per week; it's totally up to your current level of fitness.  Overall, I think RW is more forgiving; or in other words, realistic and practical.  I know that's not enough for some people--some people who tend to like to challenge things but, what seem to happen is that those people tend to be satisfied with an impressive training regime that they had just completed instead of how well they'd run in the actual race.  Our goal is to get you ready at your peak fitness in one healthy piece.  Pfitz's plan seems to be a mixture of training--if you like variety, you may like it better.  RW is straight forward Lydiard.  It's in blocks.  We did mix things a bit compared to the original Lydiard schedule (for various reasons) but still nothing like Pfitz's or many of mixture training.  

I'm curious to hear your feedback about HIT.  I'm working closely with Keith and I'm translating HIT in Japanese as we speak.  He's heading for Ireland in a few weeks, will be having some clinics over there.  We are in constant touch and we'll most likely go over some scientific terms in near future.  Would love some feedback.

I don't know much about Hadd training though I've heard (read) people say it's quite Lydiardesque with lots of low heart rate type running in the beginning.  I don't know much about the rest--hills, intervals and coordination.

jfa

Nobby !

Hi Nobby,

Thanks a million for your answer. Yes, I absolutely agree that Hadd's aerobic phase is very closely related to Lydiard. His emphasis is using minutes instead of miles and just like Lydiard having 2 sessions a week with running at an elevated HR; his idea is to enable runners to run a marathon at an HR which is 15-20 below the max HR. Just like Lydiard (my interpretation), there's an emphasis on quite high mileage but it is not just slow jogging. As you gain fitness, you will be able to run faster at a given HR.

From late March until August I followed Hadd's training ideas but again ended up injured. I don't believe that it was due to too much mileage or too much intensity but mostly a really poor running technique from my side. I'm trying gradually to increase mileage (very slowly) and improving running technique and will definitely be using Lydiard's principles; using Hadd's Lydiard-based aerobic phase is really good I think.

I will try to go through HIT again and get back to you with some comments in a couple of weeks.