1.5 mile run time (Read 145 times)

pit1989

I need to drastically improve my 1.5 mile run time. I have never been a big runner, more into weight lifting. I have always just ran my PT test once a year and that was good enough. However I have continued to progressively get slower. When I was in tech school, I ran about a 10:30 mile and a half. When I ran my mock test the other day I ran a 12:58 which is by far my slowest time ever and really close to failing. I have my actual PT test coming up in approx. a month. Any suggestions on how to reduce my time so that I don't fail and eventually get back down to the 10:30 or even quicker?

SeanM.

Bahama Mia

Might I suggest starting a training schedule. This schedule should consist of various distance (with 1.5 miles being the shortest) going up to the most miles you can run nonstop. Switch it up between intervals, tempos, hills, and speed work. The KEY is do not take a break unless it is an off day or you have an injury. The only way to see progress is to keep working. Rule of thumb: if you have a sickness from the neck up run if it is from the neck below consider breaking for a few days or until the pain subsides.

Read motivational material before a run if you don't feel motivated because of slow times, lethargy, etc.

gilbertholdings

i agree, find a training schedule and stick to it.  i'd also want to to be able to run longer distances.  if you can run 3mi at the same pace, then your 1.5 pace will probably increase, etc.  don't forget to include sprints / intervals, they should help you too.

You must be in the Navy?  Me as well.    I did the PT test year after year, getting about a 12:30 pretty consistently each time.  So my first 16 years in the Navy, best time I ever did was about a 12:00.   But... last couple years, I have gotten into running.

Adding miles and regular running will get you there.  IE.  Run several days a week, and run many miles a week.  I do about 40 miles per week currently, but 20 MPW to start would help your run times immensely.   After I started running alot, by 1.5 mile time dropped from 12:30 down to 10:07 on my last PT test. (that was at 25 Miles per week).  Now that I am doing 40 miles per week, I have "time trialed" on our 1.5 mile course to see where I am at, and I am currently in the mid-9's.

If you run plenty of miles per week, and consistently, your time will vastly improve again.  You just have to commit to it for a period of time.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

zonykel

I need to drastically improve my 1.5 mile run time. I have never been a big runner, more into weight lifting. I have always just ran my PT test once a year and that was good enough. However I have continued to progressively get slower. When I was in tech school, I ran about a 10:30 mile and a half. When I ran my mock test the other day I ran a 12:58 which is by far my slowest time ever and really close to failing. I have my actual PT test coming up in approx. a month. Any suggestions on how to reduce my time so that I don't fail and eventually get back down to the 10:30 or even quicker?

1. One month won't make a huge difference in improving your time, but if you start running now, at least you won't be as sore when you finish the test.

2. If you are in the navy, you have mandatory PT 3 times a week. If you take advantage of that and run for 30 minutes, 3 times a week, you should be able to pass without much problem.

3. If you want to max out your score, you'll need to run more than the mandatory 3 times a week.