Explain the different types of running please (Read 468 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

Is it possible to explain the different types of running training types please. I mean, according to something I read it appears that fartlek is similar to interval? Please explainthem all so I can have a better idea, and be ensuring that I cover all bases when training. Many thanks. If you could rlate them if you like direclty to 10K training that would be great.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

mikeymike

Fartlek is just informal speedwork done on the roads or trails. Usually it just involves picking up the pace for short/medium bursts throughout a distance run. Intervals are generally more structured and involve running x pace for x amount of time or distance with x amount of recovery in betweein, which usually involves slow jogging. At this point in your training I don't think you need to worry too much about either. If you feel like picking it up once in a while when you are out on a run, fine. Since your upcoming 10k will be your first race, just keep running as you have been and and show up for the race and see what happens. You'll likely find you can run much faster in a race than in training. Once you have several monhts/a year of consistent running under your belt it will make more sense to look at structuring your training for specific events.

Runners run