Celebrating 1 Year of Running (Read 1027 times)

derek

How was the 18 mile run?
    It was actually pretty good. The plan called for a 17-mile run, but I just hate "odd" numbers and when I got to about 16.5 miles, I was feeling pretty good so I decided to tack on an extra mile. My first "official"18-miler is supposed to be this coming Sunday.

Derek

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Way to go! I think with enough dedication and patience a four hour marathon can be yours. Maybe even faster.
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        WTG! Happy running Birthday Cool

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

Now that was a bath...

Congratulations on your milestone Derek! That's an amazing record of your achievement too. Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.

shonan marathon, girl

I am so impressed! Your dedication is amazing! Running is the best and quickest way to lose weight and keep it off. People ask me how I keep thin, and I tell them they should run. I am working on achieving a sub-4 time at my next marathon in November. Running is not easy, you have to work on form, speed, learn about which shoes are good for you, how many miles to run, how much to rest, etc. I think the first year of running is the hardest and after that it gets easier. Believe me, after 40 life is still good. I started training at 41 and am in the best shape of my life at 44. It's never too late!

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!

Me and my gang in Breck

Great job Derek. You will have know problem with a sub 4 hr marathorn. You know like the rest of us that anything is possible. Mark

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

Mishka-old log

Derek...Awesome! You've lost almost 60 lbs? Shocked Way to take control man! Good luck with the marathon training!
                  WTG !!
                  2009: BQ?
                    Congratulations Derek! As somebody who is only in Week 3 of the C25K program and is dying after 1 1/2 minutes of running, your success reassures me that it can be done. My goal is a marathon as soon as I can manage it, but short-term I'm concentrating on my first 5K on Sep. 29. You are an inspiration to those of us who just joined you on the trail to fitness. Keep up the good work!
                    "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves: “Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous?” Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world." ~ Marianne Williamson

2008 Philly Trifecta

I'd like to publicly congratulate and thank Derek...it is because of your progress that gave me the push to even start running again! A few months ago, I was on a backwards slide... Always had a dream of running a half marathon and maybe even a full, but could not imagine my sore knees and 248lb frame taking me over the finish line... Than, surfing for some motivation, I stumbled onto RA, and found Dereks blog Road to Boston. Since then (6/18/07), I could not run 1.5 miles without stopping. I weighed 238.5lbs, and my knees and feet hurt all the time. Now, I just completed my 2nd week of running 20 mpw, and up to a long run of 6mi. The scale says I'm at 228.5...and dropping every week. My clothes are looser, and my outlook is better! Thanks for all of you who post your accomplishments and set-backs here on RA...I for one am a life that has been changed! Wink Dave

***Check out my site: where I've been, and where I'm going @ releasetherunner.blogspot.com
                      2008 Philly Trifecta:
                      10 Mile Broad St Run-5/4
                      Philly Distance Run HM-9/21
                      Philly Marathon-11/23
                      "A goal not written down is only a dream...!"