2013 Sub 1:30 Half Marathon (Read 1808 times)

Hello everyone!  I would like to join this thread.  I am also a RWOL refugee from the sub 1:30 HM thread over there.  I have been running for almost 2 years.  I ran my first HM in April of 2012 in 1:32:27 using FIRST.  I ran my 2nd HM in September of 2012 in 1:29:50.  I feel I still have a lot of room for improvement and need an online community for support and accountability since I do all of my training on my own.  I am not part of an organized running club.  My next race will likely be a 12k in April of 2013.  That's the quick intro for me! 

5k - 19:56  |  10k - 40:03  |  HM - 1:29:50

CMJHawk86

Add me to the list.

I did a 1:29:09 in 2009 at Philly, then 6 months later at National Half in DC I eked out a 1:29:03 for a 6-second PR. Haven't seen the bright side of 1:30 since then. But I think even at soon-to-be 49 I can get back. Probably won't be til later in the year. First priority is Boston and breaking another plateau, 3:20, one which given my HM performances really makes no sense at all.

Mmmmm...beer

I was skeptical, but tonight's run has convinced me to shoot for sub-1:30 in March.  Ran 10 miles @ 7:12/mile, my fastest ever at that distance, would equal about a 1:34 half, and it wasn't race effort.  So we'll see how it goes between now and March and see what I can do at the Shamrock on 3/17. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Crazy Justin

Welcome all.  Good to see so many fine folks from RWOL.  I'll be 3 weeks out after this weekend.  I thought I might challenge my PR but I'll be realistic and simply shoot for the sub-90.  I did pretty well on my tempo yesterday but I feel like I'm about 10 seconds/mile slower than my best right now.  Hope I still have time to improve.

Mile: 5:18,   5K: 19:09,  10K: 39:44,  Half: 1:28:12,  Full: 3:21:56

Post-35 PRs:

Mile: 6:02,  5K: 21:14, 10K: 45:40, Half: 1:42:24

http://jzehnder208.googlepages.com

www.crazyj208.blogspot.com

I'll try again this year.  PR is 1:32:51.  Shooting for it at Cary 1/2 on March 17th.  It's a challenging course which makes it all the more fun!

My January 1st attempt is looking pretty sketchy--bronchitis.  Trying to rest as much as possible right now, but not incredibly optimistic.

I love getting sick around the holidays.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
              Emil Zatopek

foooster

like your ideas need lots o f 25km runs with 2mile race pace pickups

dean pb 1.07 14 in 1983

SureCouldRun

Hi all.  Count me in.  I am new to the forums but why not join in!  A little about me... I started running consistently in March of last year, and have lost 30 pounds in the process.  Feeling great and have caught a serious case of the "running bug".

I ran my first half in November with a time of 1:33 and have a recent 5k PR of 19:25.  Looking to run under 1:30 sometime this year and am currently shopping for races.  I'm now working on getting my mileage up after bombing the last mile of my first half, and I'm now up to approx. 45 mpw.

Good luck all, looking forward to a great 2013!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

My January 1st attempt is looking pretty sketchy--bronchitis.  Trying to rest as much as possible right now, but not incredibly optimistic.

I love getting sick around the holidays.

rgilbert - sorry to hear your first attempt did not go as planned. Rest up!

I'm a little behind on updating thread, but will do so this morning. Did not have time over the holidays. looks like St. paddy's Day weekend will be a BIG sub1;30 weekend for the thread.

Training going well for my first HM in March. Gave myself a cutback week last week with holiday week. Training really gets started this week though.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Add me to the list.

I did a 1:29:09 in 2009 at Philly, then 6 months later at National Half in DC I eked out a 1:29:03 for a 6-second PR. Haven't seen the bright side of 1:30 since then. But I think even at soon-to-be 49 I can get back. Probably won't be til later in the year. First priority is Boston and breaking another plateau, 3:20, one which given my HM performances really makes no sense at all.

CMJ - how did you like RnR Philly course? I'm running it this year and hear it is a good course to PR on.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

CMJHawk86

CMJ - how did you like RnR Philly course? I'm running it this year and hear it is a good course to PR on.

Actually I did the HM at the Philly Marathon which is different (I think) from RNR Philly (aka PDR). Basically it's the first half of the marathon course -- down BF Parkway through Old City to Penn's Landing, to South St., back up 6th to Chestnut then across the Schuykill to 34th, to Fairmount Park to MLK Drive, back over the river and finish. Marathoners continue on to Manayunk and back (I've done that a few times too). I think RNR is similar to the second half of the M course but I'm not sure. Anyway, I PRed on the Philly HM course in '09, was 2 minutes off a new PR this year. Mostly flat and fast but a few gradual rises and a big hill in Mile 10. FWIW.

My first attempt this year is going to be April 7th, Towpath Half Marathon in Cleveland.  Does anybody have any advice on how long I should wait to do another half?  There's a race April 28th that I was looking at, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for another one that quickly.

My first attempt this year is going to be April 7th, Towpath Half Marathon in Cleveland.  Does anybody have any advice on how long I should wait to do another half?  There's a race April 28th that I was looking at, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for another one that quickly.

I find recovery from HMs to be much more straightforward than from marathons. Personally I would not worry about doing them three weeks apart, but I guess it depends on how well you feel you recover. I guess part of it is how often you do that kind of distance normally in training.

I have a new date for an earlier run.  March 3rd, Llanelli Half Marathon.  Goal at present is to stick at 7 minute miles which would bring a PB and confidence for the sub-90 attempt at the White Horse Half on April 7th.

Threshold run yesterday went terribly so not looking too promising, but there's plenty of time for that.

Do what you want, just how you like. Nobody has to know.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

I find recovery from HMs to be much more straightforward than from marathons. Personally I would not worry about doing them three weeks apart, but I guess it depends on how well you feel you recover. I guess part of it is how often you do that kind of distance normally in training.

^This

My last half marathon I recovered pretty quick and was doing 800s 2-3 days later at fast clip.

Schedule updated with latest info.

Up Next:

???