Headlamp questions from new user (Read 111 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've read through a couple of the headlamp threads and am thoroughly confused by the specs and jargon.

1) What would the minimum lumens value be for a good light for trail running at night?

2) I will be running some 24-hour races so I assume I would need at least a 10-12 hour battery life if I don't want to fumble about trying to replace batteries in the middle of the night. Any advantage to going much longer than that since I see some with over 100 hours.

3) How important is it to have variable intensity?

4) What about being able to position it at different angles?

5) What's a good or minimum distance it should be able to illuminate on the path ahead of me?

6) Should it have some sort of rear light or is that primarily for running on roads?

7) Any advantages to rechargeable vs. replaceable batteries? If rechargeable batteries stop holding a charge, can they be replaced or is it time for a new headlamp?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

an amazing likeness

Data points are just from my personal experience...

1. 75-100 lumens seems like a sweet spot. Too bright can be a problem with how much gets reflected back into your eyes

3. Very.  You want to adjust for fog, rain, dust, ambient light as well as areas where you need more or less illumination due to terrain.

4. Very. Each hat needs different settings. Climbing hills vs downhill. More at your feet vs more off into the distance, etc.

5. far enough to see the bear first....

6. Why not, you may wear it on the road at some point.

7. Rechargeable is way better. Yes, you have to charge it. But saving $ and hassle of batteries is a winner.  Just replace it when it dies.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Thanks, and especially for responding so quickly. I'm hoping to pick one up at EMS before my coupon expires.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

phred_qz

I agree, and one other piece of supplemental gear consideration for you:

Headlamp + running beanies: great

Headlamp + short brimmed hat: great and keeps rain out of eyes

Headlamp + long-brimmed running hat: awful. Rain stays out of eyes better, but light can get blocked

Headlamp + sweaty band: great if its hot and you don't want a hat

Headlamp + your bare noggin: ouch, especially after 10+ miles. Don't forget headgear even if you're running in the heat!

Find out which headgear works with your headlamp before you're on mile 40 Smile

50 Miles - done

41.6 Miles - done

26.2 Miles - done

...now it's time to get faster. 

Birdwell

I really dig the rechargeable batteries especially when the headlamp has a built in usb charger (like many of the black diamond one do).

Are you going to have easy access to a drop bag during the 24 hour race?

If so, I'd suggest getting two identical lights and leaving one in a drop bag (with perfectly fresh batteries of course)

saves the hassle of changing batteries and gives you a light you're already comfortable with.

I personally wouldn't worry about the rear light thing. It wouldn't provide any sort of benefit for me and having anything but the strap on the back of my head would drive me nuts.

7. Rechargeable is way better. Yes, you have to charge it. But saving $ and hassle of batteries is a winner.  Just replace it when it dies.

I did not do this & will probably regret it. I bought the replaceable battery kind, partially because I didn't shop around & just bought what they had available at the LRS, partially because I already have too many damn charging cables for various devices. However it seems those things burn through batteries in no time, especially at high intensity. Found myself using low intensity just to save battery life, which is of course detrimental to safety & kind of defeats the purpose of the thing.

Dave

Birdwell

I did not do this & will probably regret it. I bought the replaceable battery kind, partially because I didn't shop around & just bought what they had available at the LRS, partially because I already have too many damn charging cables for various devices. However it seems those things burn through batteries in no time, especially at high intensity. Found myself using low intensity just to save battery life, which is of course detrimental to safety & kind of defeats the purpose of the thing.

can't you just buy rechargeable batteries and an external charger?

Having it built in is nice, but would it be a big deal to pull them out to charge?

Maybe not an issue for you, but I believe the primary lithium batteries (AA, AAA, and whatever other size) have longer shelf life, longer life in cold temperatures, and generally cost less than many other primary batteries when based on time. I haven't compared them with rechargeables like NiMH, but some of the experienced runners did a number of years ago. They found the lithium worked better than NiMH. I'll use NiMH in my handheld gps (so I can start with fresh battery, if desired) but use regular lithium in headlamps, just cuz I tend to grab something and go. I try to keep a pair of NiMH reasonably charged and swap them when ones in gadget are getting low or have been used for awhile.

HOwever, there are newer batteries out there:

http://www.adn.com/article/20141209/killer-headlamp-throws-out-lots-light-offers-sweet-pulsating-option

http://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/batteries.html  (article is at least a few years old)

and I don't have any experience with them. (and don't have time to look for specs)

Temperatures up here are a major issue - combined with duration of dark.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

can't you just buy rechargeable batteries and an external charger?

Having it built in is nice, but would it be a big deal to pull them out to charge?

:mindblown:

Dave

NHLA

Princeton Tec 4 mode    mine is old they have a new model out now.

plenty of power.  I use the variable settings a lot. High for trails. Low for roads. Flashing for dawn or dusk when I can see but the cars can't.

I use a reflective vest with flashing red light  front and back so no rear light.

Vest and light are required for Blue Ridge Relay.

Great battery life and a warning red light when battery is low and the beam will flash if low.

Run Wild

If you are going to do much running in the dark, a good headlamp is necessary.

The first thing to consider is comfort. If a headlamp is too uncomfortable, it doesn't matter how great it is. It will get annoying or painful. I've found that headlamps that have the third strap over the top of the head work best for comfort. It prevents the dreaded flopping of the light without having to have the damn thing so tight that it's squeezing your brain.

Lumens, this is important. But you don't have to go nuts with it. If you run on technical trail, a bright light is necessary.

Being able to adjust the brightness and position - if you run on variable or undulating terrain, being adjustable is important. You'll understand when you're out there.

I spend 4 months of the year running in pretty treacherous conditions (under a headlamp). The best one out there is the Petzl NAO. Get a spare battery and carry it with you. There is a new version of this one. You probably don't need the updated one. And you can usually find the old one on clearance.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I have a headlamp that I use occasionally, but I have a request for you headlamp users (also cyclists): Please don't have your zillion-lumen light dazzling me as I approach you.  Use only as needed, and point it down at the trail.  Often, I can see perfectly well with my eyes adjusted to the dim, pre-dawn light, until an oncoming runner or cyclist blinds me.