Female Athlete Triad or Hypothyroid - help?! (Read 543 times)

CWRun

Hello, I was wondering if anyone could offer my some advice. I am in my mid 20s....was a high school athlete and now working as a personal trainer. I have been running my whole life and have always been very health conscious. Over the last 6 months I have gained about 10 lbs, in addition to serve cold intolerance, fatigue and irritability. Last month I went to my OBGYN for amenorrhea (I have not had a cycle in +2 years). Previously, she attribute my condition to the female athlete triad. However, after testing she diagnosed me with hypothyroidism (although my levels were normal?) and put me on synthyroid. She also did an ultrasound and started me on glucophage for ovarian cysts. Now to the important part...my running and activity have really suffered as a result. I am not sure if it’s the medication or not, but it’s been so hard for me to perform at my usual level. Today I ran the slowest 10 miles ever (I’m training for a half marathon in the spring). I am use to keeping a 7:30 pace…today was more like 9 or 10 min/miles and I had to walk twice! Ugh! Has anyone experience similar symptoms? How did you deal with it? How long does it take to get back to normal? Thanks for any advice or feedback.
      Sorry I can't really help but how bout checking this group out http://www.runningahead.com/groups/TSH/ Maybe they can help

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Go see an endocrinologist.

Misinformation Officer

Get a 2nd and 3rd opinion.
          CWRun

Thanks everyone...I think that is probably a good idea.