The Gym is a Freak Show (Read 1287 times)

Latent Runner

This thread is too funny; my "gym" is a former 19th century railroad bed now converted to a recreational trail.  Lots of space for all, and the vast majority of folks are almost too polite, regardless of whether they're alone, with friends/family, with dogs, walking, running, or riding on a bike, horse, or snowmobile.  Granted this time of year the numbers on the trail are few and far between, but it is a rare event when I complete my entire run and don't see another soul out there.  Keeping this on topic, even the "freaks" I've met along the way are polite and always nod or say "Hi".

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    TripleBock

I do not go on the trail when it is snowmobile season ... I do not want to meet a snowmobile when it come around the corner going 60-120 MPH.  I hit a dear on my snowmobile one year ... I was only going 60, but we still could not avoid the collission.

This thread is too funny; my "gym" is a former 19th century railroad bed now converted to a recreational trail.  Lots of space for all, and the vast majority of folks are almost too polite, regardless of whether they're alone, with friends/family, with dogs, walking, running, or riding on a bike, horse, or snowmobile.  Granted this time of year the numbers on the trail are few and far between, but it is a rare event when I complete my entire run and don't see another soul out there.  Keeping this on topic, even the "freaks" I've met along the way are polite and always nod or say "Hi".

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

The worst is the people (mostly women that I've seen) trying to lift weights, but get too bothered taking selfies in the mirror next to said weights, to post on FB, Instagram, Google+ and RA. 

Utterly annoying...

Dave

John Rustle

^^^fussy biatch

running > all else

Lol!

The workout didn’t happen unless you post about it on FB.

The worst is the people (mostly women that I've seen) trying to lift weights, but get too bothered taking selfies in the mirror next to said weights, to post on FB, Instagram, Google+ and RA. 

Utterly annoying...

Latent Runner

Lol!

The workout didn’t happen unless you post about it on FB.

Uh-oh; I didn't even create a Facebook account until a few weeks ago so I could find teams for the 2014 editions of RAGNAR-Cape Cod and RTB-NH, even still, I haven't posted a single run and don't plan to start any time soon.  I guess none of the training I've done really happened, which, by extension, means I've very-very fat and unfit.  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                • 2-mile: 13:49
                • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                • 5-Mile: 37:24
                • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                DaBurger

Also, the sunrise wasn't beautiful, the snow wasn't deep, and the power wasn't out unless you posted it to 3 5 social networks.

Know thyself.

jeffdonahue

What would you do? Or is it just fine to have a gym employee standing on the treadmill you are using.

I would've asked her politely to get off my treadmill.  If that doesnt work, start running with flailing arms that smack her every 3rd step.

CT JEFF

Part of me that doesn't like gym people. They are always in my way.

Today I noted one of the "trainers" "training" someone on the treadmill. The treadmills are lined up six inches apart and she was standing between them one foot on each treadmill and absolutely invading the space of the person who was trying to run next to her. I don't know why, but it bothered me. I couldn't decide what I'd do if she did that to me. I'd either tell her to get off the treadmill I'm using or would have started running tempo so I could fling buckets of sweat all over her.

What would you do? Or is it just fine to have a gym employee standing on the treadmill you are using.

I havent been to the gym in years. I chose to buy a TM instead. Well, I signed up for an introductory TRI. Really, its as easy as one can get. 15 min in the pool, then 10 min T1. 30 min stationary bike, then 5 min T2. 30 min on TM. Easy. But, I dont swim. So, I went to the gym today. I can see it being a means to an end, but damn.

I went during the afternoon, which I think was nice. Mostly older people and a couple stay at homers. The pool ladies were nice. No problem finding a bike. Even got my choice of brand new TM! (thanks to a flooding issue upstairs on New Years Day when everyone in that office had the day off !) - The part that annoyed me, was a maintenance guy. He stood on the TM next to me (each side) and was putting stickers on the new machines, but while doing it he had to tell each person that would talk to him how horrible his life was and how busy he was, as he dragged his feet for 20 minutes to apply stickers to 5 machines!

Another minute of his b#tching and I was going to tell him off. I like it when I can push negative thoughts out of my head and work harder. But if he was ON MY MACHINE !?! Oh man!  I would have started to run like Phoebe on Friends.

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

running > all else

Uh-oh; I didn't even create a Facebook account until a few weeks ago so I could find teams for the 2014 editions of RAGNAR-Cape Cod and RTB-NH, even still, I haven't posted a single run and don't plan to start any time soon.  I guess none of the training I've done really happened, which, by extension, means I've very-very fat and unfit.  Smile

LOL! I really did laugh. Big grin

xhristopher

Hmm, not sure why they are the last taken -- running on anything else just amplifies the "this isn't really running" feeling.

Last week I had to get a gym day-pass to do a progression run workout.  I was on that thing for an hour and a half, just waiting for someone to tell me to bugger off.  The trainer saw me; after I stepped off he said, "good run?".  I said, "yeah".  Best trainer interaction yet.

I tried the Woodway yesterday. The surface felt soft like a trail but it must have been badly calibrated. I dialed in my usual speed and ended up backing off to 9:13 pace, which felt about like 7:20 on the road. This was at 0 incline. The woman next to me was at a full jog with the speed set to 3 on hers.

I can't imagine the concept of that mill is to make running significantly harder than on the road. After about a "mile" of that I switched machines so I could get an idea of how far I was going. I got on the next machine, dialed in about 7:50 and it felt about like 7:50 on the road.

I'll try a different Woodway later and see if it was just that machine.

HermosaBoy

I tried the Woodway yesterday. The surface felt soft like a trail but it must have been badly calibrated. I dialed in my usual speed and ended up backing off to 9:13 pace, which felt about like 7:20 on the road. 

I'll try a different Woodway later and see if it was just that machine.

I have tried them a few times -- no sir, I don't like them.

Not sure what it is, but they do seem to make you work too hard...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I have tried them a few times -- no sir, I don't like them.

Not sure what it is, but they do seem to make you work too hard...

We are talking about the treadmill with the rubberized wooden planks instead of a rubber belt, right?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

xhristopher

We are talking about the treadmill with the rubberized wooden planks instead of a rubber belt, right?

Yes. Here it is .