The Gym is a Freak Show (Read 1287 times)

Nemo's story reminded me of a guy I saw at Bay to Breakers. He was running with an orange shirt and no pants, junk flopping around as free as can be. As others have said...some things you can't un-see.

This is not really about the gym, but I just have to say that naked jogging is very big where I live. Talk about not being able to un-see...

Half Fanatic #846

Something I had never thought about - what do the barefoot runners do when weather forces them inside?

Well, they will probably have to find a "barefoot friendly" gym - like the one I found while visiting in Franklin, N.C.   Unfortunately, I live in Florida.  So if it's too cold outside for bare feet, I wear the most minimal shoes I have.

PS - based on the locker room descriptions, I now retract my earlier post ranting on TM users wearing street clothes, only jogging for 10 minutes or walking around feeling all the equipment - that's not weird at all in comparison.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

I think I'm going crazy.

The basic rules I use in my home are the same ones I use at the Y. If there are other people there (either place) I don't walk around, sip coffee, hang out, and chat whist nekkid.

If no one is around, well I may walk around with nothing but an elephant mask on. I may even pretend to be an elephant on the john.

But, you'll never, ever, catch me with just the top half covered...carrying on like Robert is your father's brother.  It is just fecking strange, particularly for men--given that it is the lower half that society tells us to not waive for all to see.

And, you can cut off my feet before trying to send me into a public stall barefoot. Just take'em, cuz i don't wannam back.

+100....both on the bare feet in the stall and on walking around with a shirt on but your junk waving in the wind. Creepy.

Kalsarikännit

Yesterday morning a woman was sitting on a bench closest to the entrance/exit of the locker room (where everyone had to pass by and see her).  She was slowly shaving her toes.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

jfa

That's gross.

But hairy toe knuckles are grosserer.

Feeling the growl again

Yesterday morning a woman was sitting on a bench closest to the entrance/exit of the locker room (where everyone had to pass by and see her).  She was slowly shaving her toes.

Screw the gym.  Right after we spoke at the marathon start a guy walked by with huge plastic triangular gauges in his ears...which were perfect for hanging his earbuds from until the race started.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Menace to Sobriety

Which is why I have a home gym.

It could still be a freak show, just sayin' Wink

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

xhristopher

It's been a little cold out so I gave in and bought a one month gym membership to avoid running in single digits, teens, ice, and snow. It's been interesting.

Part of me that doesn't like gym people. They are always in my way.

Today I noted one of the "trainers" "training" someone on the treadmill. The treadmills are lined up six inches apart and she was standing between them one foot on each treadmill and absolutely invading the space of the person who was trying to run next to her. I don't know why, but it bothered me. I couldn't decide what I'd do if she did that to me. I'd either tell her to get off the treadmill I'm using or would have started running tempo so I could fling buckets of sweat all over her.

What would you do? Or is it just fine to have a gym employee standing on the treadmill you are using.

running > all else

It's been a little cold out so I gave in and bought a one month gym membership to avoid running in single digits, teens, ice, and snow. It's been interesting.

Today I noted one of the "trainers" "training" someone on the treadmill. The treadmills are lined up six inches apart and she was standing between them one foot on each treadmill and absolutely invading the space of the person who was trying to run next to her. I don't know why, but it bothered me. I couldn't decide what I'd do if she did that to me. I'd either tell her to get off the treadmill I'm using or would have started running tempo so I could fling buckets of sweat all over her.

What would you do? Or is it just fine to have a gym employee standing on the treadmill you are using.

Sad that a trainer doesn't know better. :/ Not sure what I would do, honestly. When I go to the gym, I 'pretend' it's my sanctuary...same with running, cycling. It bugs me if someone disrupts my 'zen,' you know? I might just move to another tready, if I felt it was distracting me.

xhristopher

Sad that a trainer doesn't know better. :/ Not sure what I would do, honestly. When I go to the gym, I 'pretend' it's my sanctuary...same with running, cycling. It bugs me if someone disrupts my 'zen,' you know? I might just move to another tready, if I felt it was distracting me.

The place was packed so there was no opportunity to move.

On the upside, I noted the place has two Woodway treadmills.They seem to be the last ones taken. I've never used one. Perhaps I'll one of them next.

running > all else

Hopefully, there won't be a 'next time.' (as far as the trainer goes)

Guess every gym has its problems. I love my gym, mostly not all that crowded...but, there's always someone who doesn't put the weights back where they belong. Or take them off the squat bar, etc. Just bugs me. :/

The place was packed so there was no opportunity to move.

On the upside, I noted the place has two Woodway treadmills.They seem to be the last ones taken. I've never used one. Perhaps I'll one of them next.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

Talking about people in your way ... Mild in comparison to some of the stories earlier in this thread, but my gym/rec center has an indoor track. Three lanes - walking on the inside, running on the outside, and passing in the middle. You'd be amazed at the number of people who don't follow the lane rules, particularly walkers who feel it is their right to walk three or more across in a big group, taking up the passing lane. Not a big deal, unless the track is even a little bit crowded and you're trying to do a tempo run or speed workout requiring you to pass other runners and walkers, sometimes at the same point, squeezing through the three-across walkers on one side and two-across joggers on the other.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Was she in a position where you could have "accidentally" elbowed her repeatedly, and maybe given her an idea that it was too close for comfort? Or maybe some prolonged farting would've sent a message. Or, last resort, just say "Please get the fuck off my treadmill".

Just some thoughts.

Dave

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Hmm, not sure why they are the last taken -- running on anything else just amplifies the "this isn't really running" feeling.

Last week I had to get a gym day-pass to do a progression run workout.  I was on that thing for an hour and a half, just waiting for someone to tell me to bugger off.  The trainer saw me; after I stepped off he said, "good run?".  I said, "yeah".  Best trainer interaction yet.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

I'm a regular at the gym club I belong to.  I have 4 locations that I can go to between my office and my home and I use all 4 of them depending on my whereabouts and traffic challenges for the day.  As a regular, I recognize and interact with other regulars (and employees).  I'm not a social butterfly, but I'm cordial to those I see when we make eye contact.

I've never have bad interaction with anybody

There's 1 guy at the gym I go to at 5am near my office that is there every time.  We arrive at the same time and leave at the same time.  We're in the locker room at the same time, and I locker just a few feet from him.  The guy is the military type (shaves his head at the gym in the locker room frequently).  He's been there for 5+ years, and I've seen him for 5+ years.

I'm sure that we'd be friendly to each other, but for the first 3 years, he'd have his earphones in 100% of the time at the gym, and I never interacted with him.  Now, it's real awkward because I interact with all of the other regulars, but I don't interact with him.  I'm sure he feels the same, but there's never been an "ice break" that has us interact with each other.  Other regulars interact with him about his hobbies (gambling on basketball games and football games), but I'm not going to join that conversation since I don't care about it.

FWIW, the guy is the type of guy who wears 2 layers of socks, 2 layers of sweat pants, 2 or 3 shirts / sweaters, and a stocking hat as he sweats out his weight workout every morning regardless of whether it's 100+ degrees outside or 15 degrees outside.  I cannot relate to him at all, and have no earthly idea why he does what he does.

Some day, I might gain the courage to say hi or give a head-nod type of gesture saying "what's up?".  Until then, it'll be more  awkwardness at the gym.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life