Racing 1 week before marathon. (Read 632 times)

Bugs

My friend is trying to pull together a team and needs bodies, but it's one week before my marathon. My choices are 5K, 10 miler (at LR pace cause I know better than to race it), or tell her no thanks. Thoughts?

Bugs

PWL

Has been

My friend is trying to pull together a team and needs bodies, but it's one week before my marathon. My choices are 5K, 10 miler (at LR pace cause I know better than to race it), or tell her no thanks. Thoughts?
      Doing the 10-miler at your goal marathon pace might be a good last warm-up for your marathon. Just make sure you do your goal marathon pace and no faster.

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

Neither distance is necessarily too much 1 week before the marathon. At your mileage base, I'd think you could either do the 10 miler (maybe even with a few miles at marathon pace, for practice) without too much trouble. The 5K shouldn't be too taxing, obviously. In the end, though, the most important factor is probably your ability to recover from tempo workouts. If you tend to recover quickly, then you can maybe push yourself a little. If not, then just take it either whichever distance you choose. Doing the race and hitting your pace targets could give you a nice confidence boost for the following weekend. The ultra-ultra-safe advice would be to skip it, but that's not what I'd do. Wink

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

Bugs, I would race 5k. I set my 5k PR 8 days before I BQ'd at Houston in January. Just warm up well and don't start too fast. don't want a pulled hamstring.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

In Dallas, many runners leave their marathon (Dallas White Rock- early December) at the Turkey Trot on Thanksgiving Day. ONLY race this if you are truly disciplined enough to race at your marathon pace or slower. The 5K you could probably do all out, but NOT the 10 miler. I know in my case, if there is a starting gun and a finish line, I can't hold back.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Mr Inertia

Suspect Zero

A 10 miler should theoretically be ok as long as you don't race it. I don't have the discipline to enter a race and not race.
                I don't have the discipline to enter a race and not race.
                I did an 8K the week before my last marathon, and actually managed to hold back the pace. It takes a ton of discipline and it is very frustrating to be passed by people you know you could beat in an all-out race. I wished that back of my shirt said "I am running a marathon in 7 days, so don't get cocky just because you're passing me today." Smile

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.