Running With Soreness/Tightness? (Read 204 times)

Better I Leave

Milzed...

Yes.  Easy/recovery runs often help me shake off soreness and tightness, too.  If it gets worse with running, doesn't go away with running, or progresses to pain, then I stop.

Figuring out the line between sore and painful is the real magic.  I'm still working on that, too (been at this less than two years).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I do.  If I didn't run when I was sore or achey, I'd probably never run!  I had a chronic piriformis issue and I ran through it for over a year.  If it's something that persists for awhile, see a PT...the only time I really rest for injury is if it's really intense or sharp pain.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Better I Leave

Milzed...

zonykel

Try the foam roller or the stick. Speaking of which, I need to start using again.

an amazing likeness

I have feeling, based on all you've posted about your past in body building and/or weight lifting...that you know the answer.  Sore muscles respond well to light workouts and the workout can speed the healing and reduce the soreness.  Pain is a different matter.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Feeling the growl again

Sore muscles respond well to light workouts and the workout can speed the healing and reduce the soreness.  Pain is a different matter.

This.

I'm up to moderate on the pain scale....or it presents in such a way as to suggest a specific injury...before I actually don't run.  Slow down, longer warmup, yes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

i've worked through many issues over the years & whenever I feel any tightness or twinges will back off abit.   walking for a few minutes before & after workout helps me.   doing an easy run/walk also helps tremendously at times. had some slight tightness in my left hamstring & slight discomfort back of right knee this am so I did an easy run/walk for an hour.  its ok to do that at times.  its a good mental as well physical break.   don't try to push it especially with hm coming up soon.   better to take it easier & be more refreshed/whole at the starting line than being mentally/physically stressed.