Running With Soreness/Tightness? (Read 203 times)

Better I Leave

Milzed...

Yes.  Easy/recovery runs often help me shake off soreness and tightness, too.  If it gets worse with running, doesn't go away with running, or progresses to pain, then I stop.

Figuring out the line between sore and painful is the real magic.  I'm still working on that, too (been at this less than two years).

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
      Emil Zatopek

MJ5

Chief Unicorn Officer

I do.  If I didn't run when I was sore or achey, I'd probably never run!  I had a chronic piriformis issue and I ran through it for over a year.  If it's something that persists for awhile, see a PT...the only time I really rest for injury is if it's really intense or sharp pain.

Mile 5:49 - 5K 19:58 - 10K 43:06 - HM 1:36:54

Better I Leave

Milzed...

zonykel

Try the foam roller or the stick. Speaking of which, I need to start using again.

day after day sameness

I have feeling, based on all you've posted about your past in body building and/or weight lifting...that you know the answer.  Sore muscles respond well to light workouts and the workout can speed the healing and reduce the soreness.  Pain is a different matter.

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

Feeling the growl again

Sore muscles respond well to light workouts and the workout can speed the healing and reduce the soreness.  Pain is a different matter.

This.

I'm up to moderate on the pain scale....or it presents in such a way as to suggest a specific injury...before I actually don't run.  Slow down, longer warmup, yes.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

i've worked through many issues over the years & whenever I feel any tightness or twinges will back off abit.   walking for a few minutes before & after workout helps me.   doing an easy run/walk also helps tremendously at times. had some slight tightness in my left hamstring & slight discomfort back of right knee this am so I did an easy run/walk for an hour.  its ok to do that at times.  its a good mental as well physical break.   don't try to push it especially with hm coming up soon.   better to take it easier & be more refreshed/whole at the starting line than being mentally/physically stressed.