Mixing it up. (Read 598 times)

Jeffrey

I think the canted roads in Seattle & the blazing-inferno-sun-from-hades put me into a RUT during my run today. Smile What do you guys do to mix-it-up with your weekly/daily routine? Or don't you mess with your routine?
      I run backwards. Big grin No, just kidding... I try to run at different places. We have a bunch of metroparks with trails here, and in a week I'll usually hit 3 or 4. But still I sometimes feel bored/in a rut. It also helps to run with someone if you can.
      The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense. Jim Harrison
        I have different places I can run either before work or during lunch, so I pretty much mix it up. Sometimes I will run the same course for a while but will reverse the direction that I am running if I am running a loop course. Somedays I will go clockwise- othes I will go counter clockwise.
        http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
        Jeffrey

I've yet to fully explore the trails in a nearby park; will try that soon. As for running with someone, that's a good idea as a change of pace. Although I tend to like the isolation of running by myself since it gives me a chance to clear my thoughts. Smile
          I run backwards. Big grin No, just kidding... I try to run at different places. We have a bunch of metroparks with trails here, and in a week I'll usually hit 3 or 4. But still I sometimes feel bored/in a rut. It also helps to run with someone if you can.
          Jeffrey

I work out of my residence so my neighborhood courses sometimes get monotonous. On my interval days I use a car to drive to a local track - which helps break up the routine. Reversing the direction is a good idea; I am a creature of habit and tend to run the same counter-clockwise direction in my loops!
            I have different places I can run either before work or during lunch, so I pretty much mix it up. Sometimes I will run the same course for a while but will reverse the direction that I am running if I am running a loop course. Somedays I will go clockwise- othes I will go counter clockwise.
            Scout7

I'm very bad about changing up my routes. I find some, I tend to stick with them as much as possible. Primary reason is that I like to know what route I'm running before I head out, otherwise I worry too much about when to turn, where I'm at, etc. What I find helpful is to have several smaller routes, and then I can pick and choose which ones to run, and I can string them together in various different ways to get desired distances/challenge, whatever. That works well if you have a sort of base area you run in (like home or work).
                Don't tell my boss but sometimes, when I'm in a rut, I will sneek out and run during the mid-day, or early morning, or late afternoon, when I really should be out doing some work. Fortunately, I live in the DC area and there are LOTS of different places to run. Downtown near the monuments, Rock Creek around National Zoo, the C&O canal, or the Mount Vernon Bike trail. . The key to staying out of a rut is to MIX it UP. Don't do the same thing day after day. Go find a place that is beautiful or challenging to you and get your butt out there. Big grin
                  what do I do to mix it up? Instead of heading south on the boardwalk, I head north. But I'm just crazy that way. Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

shonan marathon, girl

I use the train and will run one-way home, or visa versa when I need to do LSD. Lately I have been doing only roundtrip runs, so that I can clock my time halfway. I think it's time for me to change my routes and start adding some nearby hills for a little excitement. To just go out and run and not worry about the distance, time or where I'm going is what I plan to do next. I can run for endless km along the beach here, but it gets old and everyone needs a change.

next race SHONAN MARATHON nov 3rd, 2012, OSAKA MARATHON nov 25th, i am aiming for nyc!