any ideas on my pain source? (Read 681 times)

thumbs up!

I have a 5k on Sunday, and haven't been able to put in many miles because of an achy leg. Kind of hard to explain, but here goes... The pain is in the top part of the inner thigh where it connects to the body. The "crease" area, right above the fleshy thigh part (Ok, fleshy on me anyway). There is some transferred pain/odd sensation down the inner thigh towards the knee. I don't think it's quad related however. It's not always one spot, sometimes it feels more upper hamstring, but usually its more inside. The "pain" only happens when running. A little discomfort with the first few steps into a walk, but otherwise fine. Good to sit, stand, ride bike, climb stairs. I did run a mile today, super slow. It did hurt, but not so bad that I could not have run longer and faster, but I didn't want to aggravate whatever it is before my race. Any amateur/professional diagnosis and other educated guesses appreciated.
    2010 Goals
    1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
    2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
    3. sub 30 min 5k
    4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
    jeffdonahue

Is it a sharp pain or more of an ache? I just had (still kind of have) something in the similar area. It was a sharp pain in the inner thigh that ran down my leg to the knee, but alos would happen around that whole upper thigh area around the leg to the buttox as well. I believe I pinched a nerve the other night while sleeping. It was painful to run on, but not unbearable (still able to get some 4-5 milers in). Mainly, I just rested when I could and LOTS of stretching, and ibuprofen a few times a day to reduce any swelling that might be in that area and to help with the pain. Today the sharp pain was completely gone, but it feels like somebody jammed a golf ball into my hamstring - so still stretching. Best of luck Jeff
        does it hurt when you lift the leg or when you push off... like going up a step?
          Looks like you have a lot of miles on your current shoes....is it a new pain?
          Heroes never die. They just reload.

thumbs up!

Thanks for the replies. My shoes have about 200 miles on them. It hurts the most on the "landing", when all my weight is on that leg. There are a LOT of similarities to Jeff's situation. Even the "whole upper thigh area around the leg to the buttox as well" thing. It almost feels like if I could just shake my leg hard enough, it would all snap back into place. Sorry my lack of both running and anatomy terminology.
            2010 Goals
            1. get to and maintain 20 MPW
            2. sub 50 min Crazy Legs 8k -- April 10 (so close! 50:13... next year)
            3. sub 30 min 5k
            4. improved time in Madison half marathon -- May 10
            jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

I had a similar problem earlier this year while biking. The pain at the crease would get so bad I would have to get off of the bike and as soon as I swung my leg out, something would pop and it would go away. I started using the foam roller on my quads and actually found a trigger point that ran from quad right to that area. I spent a few nights rolling and almost crying from the pain of the roller, but it eventually went away. I love my foam roller!
              finney

Resident pinniped

Hip flexor, maybe? Or one of your hips or lower back could be out of alignment and what you're getting is a muscle imbalance or stress on a tendon.

Giants Fan

That is weird as I have a friend who is currently going through this same pain! If you figure it out, post it so we all know...Good luck! I know she is planning on just resting up to two weeks if necessary. CC

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Piriformis Syndrome? http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/piri.html OR: Weak Adductor Muscles? http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/cybertherapist/front/frontthigh/adductorinflam.htm

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

You need to rest it and use RICE during the day and heating pad at night, and if you miss a race then its too bad, you want to peak at race time without any injuries; as far as advice, you should get a massage and work associative muscles being the glutes, lower back and both quads and hamstrings. There are a bunch of muscles and ligaments around hip and sacral area.