It's dark and I don't want to be hit by a car (Read 1108 times)

My wife calls me a vampire runner as 90% of my runs are when it's dark outside. I tend to run either after the kids go to bed (so 9 p.m. or later) or really early in the morning before work (5 a.m. or so). I try to wear light-colored clothes and I either don't bring my mp3 player or turn it way down so I can easily hear the cars. I'm really good about being aware of cars and I move off the road completely when a car approaches. But I'm thinking there has to be some sort of reflective gear for runners when it's dark outside. Or a light maybe? My shoes have some reflective stuff on them but I'm thinking it's probably not enough. I'd appreciate any suggestions from other "vampire" runners.
    mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Check this thread for some ideas: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/post/922cbdb5eaf845d690445855297e4afc#focus For me it's the blinking light thingy. I have a couple of freebies our bank gave out a year or two ago, and I just change the battery when it dies.
        -Headlamps -Reflective Vests (someone posted some good link a while back on reflective clothes) -clip on blinkers and strobe lights -Reflective Arm Bands and Anklets... I used to wear these when running. Http://www.illuminite.com/ mentioned here Custom LED stuff Big grin

Vim

I'm a big fan of the headlamp when running in the dark, and if I'm on the roads (as opposed to the trails) then I'll go with reflective clothing and/or vest and a flashing red bicycle light that I got an armband for. Here's one of my newsletter articles which has a bunch of different things that you can do to be visible: http://www.runtowin.com/tips/running-in-the-dark.html

Run to Win
          25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Best Present Ever

I run in the dark (early morning) on a country road with no lights, so it's REALLY dark. I wear a head lamp (one of the more inexpensive ones from the camping store) and a "NiteIze" vest that has reflective strips and two long lights, front and back. I set the back to flash and leave the front solid. I like the NiteIze vest, but I'm not sure how reliable it is -- the front light stopped working a while ago and the back light conked out this week. I said something to one of the guys who works in the store that sold it to me, and he was surprised and told me to bring it back for replacement (I bought it last winter). I'm not sure if this is a recurring problem or if mine is just bad. I think that dampness caused the problem as the contacts look corroded. Iif something intended for runners/cyclists can't get sweat or rain on it, it may not be worth the trouble. I'm looking for this: http://www.endurancezone.com/?i=products&prodID=730 but no one sells it locally. I like how much reflective surface it has for little weight. My local store said they'd special order it for me.

A Saucy Wench

I have a petzl headlamp that I rarely wear unless the roads are totally unlit. I have a reflective vest that I wear even in the lit neighborhoods. I prefer the ones like this: to the vest style ones. Stay in place better and don't flap. But I would think to a guy it would feel like wearing a bra. Big grin (this one is by amphipod)

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Prince of Fatness

But I would think to a guy it would feel like wearing a bra. Big grin (this one is by amphipod)
                I have that vest and like it. It fits fine. I don't have manboobs, so I wouldn't know what wearing a bra feels like. Wink

Not at it at all. 

mikeymike

I have a vest that I got for like $4. It works fine. I usually don't break it out until there are snow banks and I know I'll be way out in the road.

Runners run

Former runner

Custom LED stuff Big grin
                    Love those flame pants. I can only image what those would look like running down the street. Wink

Ross

I got some iron-on reflective stuff cheap at Canadian Tire.

Feeling the growl again

1) Reflective vest 2) Blink light on right arm facing rearward 3) LED headlamp - the new ones are really light and not a problem to run with -- and BRIGHT!! You have to think not only of being seen, but WHEN you get seen. Think of being in a car going 55 mph. Often by the time reflective gear show up in the headlights, the care is very close and it's a surprise to the driver if they are not expecting a pedestrian in that spot (like on the back country roads where I run). This can lead to the driver doing something reflexive and unpredictable, like swerving...possible TOWARD you! <rant>> Did you ever notice that MANY drivers' subconscious tendency is to veer off TOWARDS a runner when they see them? Wouldn't you think it makes sense to veer AWAY??? <rant>> This can also lead to an angry driver who goes ballistic because you startled them and then they'll want to turn around and take it out on you. Sounds extreme, but I've seen it happen. The best way are the lights added on so they have increased warning. </rant></rant>

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Best Present Ever

1) Reflective vest 2) Blink light on right arm facing rearward 3) LED headlamp - the new ones are really light and not a problem to run with -- and BRIGHT!! You have to think not only of being seen, but WHEN you get seen. Think of being in a car going 55 mph. Often by the time reflective gear show up in the headlights, the care is very close and it's a surprise to the driver if they are not expecting a pedestrian in that spot (like on the back country roads where I run). This can lead to the driver doing something reflexive and unpredictable, like swerving...possible TOWARD you!
                          I sometimes see cars actually come to a near stop when they first spot me -- I think they are trying to figure out what on earth I am down the road, as I've done the same thing when I've seen something unexpected on a dark rural road (like flares from an accident that are still fairly far off -- i'll slow way down to figure out what I'm coming up on). It's still disconcerting. Rarely, cars do veer toward me, but I suspect they are mostly thinking they are funny. It's almost always a young guy in a truck who does that. Most vehicles pull all the way over into the oncoming lane to give me wide berth. In any case, I think you're right about giving lots of warning. I keep my headlamp on even when it gets light enough to see without it, figuring that in the dim, early dawn light, I'm still hard to see and the headlamp is probably pretty visible. My personal pet peeve is drivers who don't dim their brights for me, as the headlamps can totally blind me.
                          mgerwn

Hold the Mayo

Did you ever notice that MANY drivers' subconscious tendency is to veer off TOWARDS a runner when they see them? Wouldn't you think it makes sense to veer AWAY???
                            The same thing happens in the winter around here with the first big snow storm. Invariably, you see a big open area along the side of the highway with one tree in the middle, and a car head-on into it. You wonder what kind of bad luck the guy had to skid into the only tree in the field. The answer is you hit where you're looking. You focus on not hitting the tree, but the whole time you're steering you're looking AT the tree. Same thing on the road. The driver that veers toward you is trying to avoid you but ends up steering toward you, because that's where he or she is looking.

Menace to Sobriety

My personal pet peeve is drivers who don't dim their brights for me, as the headlamps can totally blind me.
                              That makes 2 of us, I've had them actually hit the high beams when they see me, as if they think I can't see them. I have to come to a complete stop sometimes. But at least they get a better view of my middle finger.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

Best Present Ever

That makes 2 of us, I've had them actually hit the high beams when they see me, as if they think I can't see them. I have to come to a complete stop sometimes. But at least they get a better view of my middle finger.
                                ooo, you're braver than I am. I'm not that worried about random violence, but I do try to not incite it while running alone on a deserted, dark, rural road! I just think evil thoughts.