Is it "wrong" to count official split times as PRs? (Read 615 times)

Latent Runner

Hey gang,

Similar to how it is generally frowned upon to wear a current year race Tee to said race, is it also considered bad form to count timed splits as PRs?  I ask because in my recent Half Marathon, I set three PRs from timed splits and a fourth implied PR.

Consider the following:

• 10K split time (with 33 second offset applied): 48:16 (my fastest, and only, 10K since I turned 50 was at the Detroit Turkey Trot last year on slippery snow covered streets was a 48:24)
    • 8-Mile (implied PR at 4/5ths of my 10-Mile time): 1:02:08 (my fastest, and only 8-Miler since I turned 50 was the Dallas Turkey Trot back in 2009 where I finished with a time of 1:10:42)
    • 10-Mile (with 33 second offset applied): 1:17:40 (my fastest 10-Miler was a really hilly course in August where I logged a 1:19:21)
    • Half Marathon time: 1:42:13.5 -- Given this was my first Half, I get this one without discussion

So, is it bad form to claim more than one PR from any given race?

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
    • 2-mile: 13:49
    • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
    • 5-Mile: 37:24
    • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
    • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
    • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
    catwhoorg

Labrat

As long as it is the split from the start to that distance, then no. Several world records have been set like that, for more unusual distances normally.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Agreed.  Still counts.

However, if you can PR during a split, you would think you could shatter the actual distance the next time out?

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Just done a 24 hour race.  You get "official" splits for marathon, 100km, 12 hour, 100 mile, 200 km etc

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Feeling the growl again

On the roads, even WRs can be set for intermediate distances from the starts.  For most of us PRs are not WRs, so we can do whatever we want.  What I call my 5K PR is the second half of a 10K; I ran within 2 seconds of my 5K PR for the first half (hard to argue therefore that the flying start to the second half was a net advantage) then went well under it for the second half.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Latent Runner

Thanks folks, I'll consider the 10K, 10-Mile, and Half all PRs; since there was no timing strip at the 8-Mile mark, I'll just have to let that one sit for a while (maybe I can get down to Dallas for another Thanksgiving and run the Turkey Trot again).  Smile

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
              • 2-mile: 13:49
              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
              • 5-Mile: 37:24
              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
              Hoban-Jay

Hey gang,

Similar to how it is generally frowned upon to wear a current year race Tee to said race, is it also considered bad form to count timed splits as PRs?  I ask because in my recent Half Marathon, I set three PRs from timed splits and a fourth implied PR.

Consider the following:

• 10K split time (with 33 second offset applied): 48:16 (my fastest, and only, 10K since I turned 50 was at the Detroit Turkey Trot last year on slippery snow covered streets was a 48:24)
                • 8-Mile (implied PR at 4/5ths of my 10-Mile time): 1:02:08 (my fastest, and only 8-Miler since I turned 50 was the Dallas Turkey Trot back in 2009 where I finished with a time of 1:10:42)
                • 10-Mile (with 33 second offset applied): 1:17:40 (my fastest 10-Miler was a really hilly course in August where I logged a 1:19:21)
                • Half Marathon time: 1:42:13.5 -- Given this was my first Half, I get this one without discussion

So, is it bad form to claim more than one PR from any given race?

If you want to count it as PR, then do so.  If you don't, then don't.  It's as simple as that.

I don't think the USATF, Guiness Book of World Records or any other governing agency will care either way!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

For several years my 5k PR was the first leg of a duathlon, but I'd always suspected it was measured a bit short (not a certified course and I think my Garmin had measured a hair <3).  I didn't really count that time until I went out and got a legit time on a certified course.

But if the distance is certified, then I see no reason not to count a split as a PR.  Ultimately, since we're not pros we can do whatever we feel is kosher.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

mikeymike

However, if you can PR during a split, you would think you could shatter the actual distance the next time out?

And yet, there my 10-mile PR sits. Run en route to my half marathon PR, 10 years, 7 months ago. Alas.

Shipo, if counting legitimate splits as PR's is wrong, then I don't want to be right.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

The IAAF counts official splits for road world records, if the split is certified. If it's good enough for them, it's probably good enough for the rest of us.

Kalsarikännit

Just done a 24 hour race.  You get "official" splits for marathon, 100km, 12 hour, 100 mile, 200 km etc

Yeah. That's where my 100 mile PR comes from, but it feels silly. Almost everyone else's is from a trail race and mine is from a flat-assed track with good footing. It's apples and oranges. My PR doesn't feel like my "real" PR (if that makes any sense).

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Shalane is probably counting her 25K split last week at Berlin as her PR.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Oh, and wikipedia counts Mary Keitany's 2011 RAK splits. Wikipedia is the be-all and end-all of authoritative sources, right?

xhristopher

I bet we can all find some new PRs if we mined our results enough. Off the top of my head I've got 5M, 15K, 10M, 25K, & 20M PRs buried in races of other distances despite having actually raced those distances.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure my 25 mile, 25.1 mile, 25.2 mile, 25.3 mile, 25.4 mile, and 25.5 mile PRs are all enroute. And some others.