Doctors Ugh (Read 727 times)

RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Some of you may remember that I have had an issue with my right calf muscle area. At one point some of you thought it might be a blod clot. Good news is that it is not. However, I may have the worst doctor ever. My story (kind of long): I wanted to switch doctors because I never really liked my doctor. I couldn't remember why I didn't like him I just didn't. So I found a doctor I thought would be good. A guy that was close and was a marathon runner. So I called his office and was told he is not taking patients but another lady in the office was but was booked up until January. At that time this was October. So I thought, well let me see when my old doctor could see me. Well he could see me the next day. So I went back to him. I tell him my left calf is 1 inch bigger then the right and that I am worried it might be a blood clot. He then asked me how I knew the one was bigger then the other. I told him my wife measured it. He asked if she was a nurse. I said no. Then he measured it and found it to be a little over an inch bigger. I said so what do you think it is. He said I don't know let's wait two more weeks to see if it gets any better. I knew the answer to that one already but thought I would be patient. What is $20 more for another visit. So then I return and he measures again. No difference. So he does and xray in his office with this old machine that I am probably going to die from all of the radiation it was giving off. Everything is fine. I talk him into a MRI. He starts to grumble about having to charge me because he was going to have to call and make the appointment and deal with the Health Insurance. A minimum of $35. So I said I would make the appointment. He said okay. So I call get the appointment and get pre-certified and then call Humana. Everything is fine but they need a Diagnosis code to proceed and a CPT code. So I try to call the doctor 4 times on Tuesday. First two busy (9:30 AM, 10:30 AM) I call at 1:00 and get out to lunch I then call at 4:15 and the office is closed. So I call on Wednesday and finally get through. The person who answers the phone says she will ask the doctor about the code. I call later at 3:00 to see if they had the code. Not yet. I never get a return phone call last night. So I call today. No code and the doctor is not in today. I am scheduled for 9:30 tomorrow. She then tells me they have a message from Humana that needs the doctor to approve the test. Again for him to call it will be a minimum of $35. Am I wrong in being mad about this? My wife's insurance switches at the beg of the year to Blue Cross and Shield so I think at that time I will just find a new doctor. I think it will look bad if I do it after two doctors visits. What would any of you do or suggest? Unless it is something really serious I will probably live with it until after the Flying Pig and then do whatever needs to be done. The race is in May. Stupid I know but I have to train for it and the pain is just every now and then. It really does not bother me too much. Why is life so difficult? I just want my calf to be better!
      2011 Goals:
      Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
      Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
    Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I would get a new doctor. MTA: when a patient says "blood clot" you need to take it seriously and do so immediately.
      jdmcgregor

All business

I don't know him, but i don't like your doctor at all. Let us know what happens with the new one.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

What a quack! Do you need to be a nurse to work a tape measure? Unbelievable. Shocked
            I agree. Get a new doc and file a complaint against your current doc. It should not be that hard to get medical care when that is what he is supposed to be there to provide.
            RunFree7

Run like a kid again!

Thanks for the support guys/girls. Hopefully this all ends in me finding a great doctor! Ok so I have looked up on my wife's new health care and found some close doctors. Where is the best place to look up information on them. Is their a place to get a rating or more information? I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area.
                2011 Goals:
                Sub 19 5K (19:24 5K July 14th 2010)
                Marathon under 3:05:59 BQ (3:11:10 Indy 2010)
              seeEricaRun

Awesome

Thanks for the support guys/girls. Hopefully this all ends in me finding a great doctor! Ok so I have looked up on my wife's new health care and found some close doctors. Where is the best place to look up information on them. Is their a place to get a rating or more information? I am in the Cincinnati Ohio area.
                I would email a local running club - they usually have lots of opinions about local doctors (though it would be mostly orthopedists/sports medicine).