Torn meniscuc (Read 1421 times)

Has anyone had a torn meniscus? I am due for a repair surgery and wondered about the recovery. Is it safe for me to ride a bike? How long will I be out of commission?

an amazing likeness

My log from late Feb 2010 will show how I worked back from meniscus repair (and other stuff). Basically I was able to walk and jog in a 6-8 weeks, then worked through a series of knee braces until about July...

Choosing my words carefully has never been my strength I've been known to be vague and often pointless

Thanks for the reply. I hope your knee heals completely. Good luck to you.

I had a torn meniscus along with a torn ACL in January 2009.  I had an ACL allograft and they resected (cut out) about half of my meniscus (by cross sectional distance -- I have significantly more than 50% of my meniscus remaining by area or volume).  For me this was a major bummer to come out of surgery and discover that this was done.  My MRI did not show the torn meniscus.  

Post surgery I began to run lightly within only 2-3 months (see my log for exact dates if you like).  BUT, it was over a full year for me before I felt like I was really running again normally and without any pain or discomfort at all.  

Beware:  I now have a subsequent articular cartilage tear in the same compartment where I had the meniscus partially removed.  This is a major major bummer and potentially a much greater threat to my running in the long term.  There is no way of knowing what caused the cartilage tear, but I think it could not have helped that I was missing meniscus in there and so the bones didn't quite have as much cushion and stability as they would have before.  If I could do the last couple of years all over again I would maybe have done a little research on options to unload the affected compartment a little bit.  Maybe there are things that can be done with orthotics?  I know there are braces, but from what I've heard they are not very practical for running.  Anyway, that's my story in very brief.  Let me know if you'd like to know anything more.

Most of all best of luck on treatment and recovery.  If it were me I would have a real heart to heart with your surgeon to let him know in no uncertain terms that you'd like to keep the absolute maximum amount of your own OEM meniscus that you possibly can -- if it were me.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Joe, I have heard that some doctors are only concerned with surgery and not enough with physical therapy and maintenance. I have decided to get a second opinion. When I asked to view my MRI my dr was too busy racing on to the next patient to let me see what was going on with MY knee. I researched and found another orthopedic surgeon who says on his website that he is concerned primarily with saving as much as possible of a patient's cartilage. He is a team doctor consultant with several local universities and pro teams, so I think he will be good. I hope i can get my films without any problem. I definitely do not want to start over. I think after reading your post, I'll begin by asking how much of the meniscus he can save, and if he can just repair and not cut any. Thank you for sharing your story. I can only imagine how disappointing it was to conquer the ACL and meniscus, only to have a second cartilage tear! Good luck to you.
              Here is the quote off the website that encouraged me. Dr. McCouloch strives for joint preservation and repair rather than replacement whenever possible. He treats adolescents to adults with the same level of care and thoughtfulness whether professional athlete or otherwise....... Sounds good, right?

Yeah, Becky, absolutely go and get that second opinion.  It sounds like this new OS has the right philosophy to me.  And you should have NO TROUBLE getting your MRI from the other guy.  As you say, it is YOUR knee.  To me it is stunning that he wouldn't look at your MRI with you.  My OS's office gave me one CD for free but told me they would charge me $25 for subsequent copies -- sounded fair to me.  I've since made copies and sent one off to another OS to get his opinion. 

Keep researching and make sure you get an OS who will collaborate with you on the game plan, because once the cutting is done it's impossible to go back.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jerbreck

The Joe Mullen of runnin

Just found out I've got--breathe In--a complex undisplaced tear involving the body and posterior horn of the medial meniscus extending from medial to lateral of approximately 3cm. I'm meeting with an orthopedic surgeon (when? hopefully soon) and the sports Dr says I'll likely get meniscus repair rather than partial meniscectomy.

I've been poking around here and found some good tips. I'm an epidemiologist but there are surprisingly few good quality studies on meniscal repair vs partial meniscectomy. Evidence points to better short-term outcomes for meniscectomy (much lower re-operation rates) but possibly worse long-term outcomes. But as I said, these studies are not of the greatest quality.

Just wondering if anyone else has had any additional experience they'd like to share? My Dr and physio both said I can continue to bike and swim before the surgery (although I didn't really tell them I plan to bike and swim A LOT, is that a problem?) as long as it doesn't hurt.

The good news through all this is that when I get back to running, a triathlon should be no problem! Also, it'll give a chance to my lingering osteitis pubis to heal up.

Thanks!

StellarsJJayS

It depends on how bad the tear is.  It could be as simple as shaving off raggedy torn edges.  Or trying to patch it all back together like grandma's quilt.  The best help in regards to the recovery, and getting back to running, is finding an AMAZING Physical Therapist.  Good Luck. 

There is only one acceptable pace...all out suicide...

...and today is a good day to die!

--  Pre