tights and leggings for male runner (Read 705 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

OP:  My advice is to get a pair of these to wear under those tights for really cold windy days:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Equilibrium-Windbrief-Boxer/210034001.025,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=mens-apparel-baselayer

I have those exact brooks running boxers.  A MUST on really cold winter days (unless you prefer frostbite on your gentleman's region)

And regarding tights and leaving things to the imagination, if you're going to wear tights, at least have the decency to cover up your bits with a good ol' Santa suit.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

Dad on the run.

I call them compression pants Smile and I wear shorts over mine.

well, you'd be in the majority, at least in my neighborhood... but what you recommended in your first post are not what I think of as 'tights'. there are plenty of guys around here leaving far too little to the imagination...blech

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

OP:  My advice is to get a pair of these to wear under those tights for really cold windy days:

http://www.brooksrunning.com/Equilibrium-Windbrief-Boxer/210034001.025,default,pd.html?start=2&cgid=mens-apparel-baselayer

+ a billion

I also have the exact same ones. Regular compression shorts do fine most days, but when you need these, you really need them. There are been some particularly cold/windy days I go with both.

And running pants for me, never worn tights. Target C9's - can't get any cheaper, and they are great. Don't know what I would get with more expensive ones.

Dave

Chasing the bus

Is now the wrong time to chime in with "I love my CWX tights!"? Yeah, I used to worry about covering them up, but anymore, especially with what the girls wear, I can't be bothered. It's about performance. If it's cold enough for two layers, I wear them under track pants of some kind. Wind briefs, now, there's an idea...

John

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

Cyberic

I ran all of last winter in Montreal without wearing tight pants (leggings or whatever they're called). But then, I also wear baggy basketball shorts in the summer for running. I guess I'm a little old fashioned and don't see myself in tights.

I bought adjusted winter pants, but they look completely ridiculous. They're not baggy enough to be called sweat pants, but not tight enough to be tights. So I wear baggy wind stopper pants over them. It would be much simpler to wear tights or leggings as stores are filled with them and there are tons of options. Very hard to find baggy pants in running stores.

And running pants for me, never worn tights. Target C9's - can't get any cheaper, and they are great. Don't know what I would get with more expensive ones.

+1... I like the Target C9's too.  The price is nice.  They don't impede or restrict leg movement in any obvious way.  And they have a close but not tight fit, so that the male anatomy is not on display in any obvious way.

TerraRunner19D

The most "manly" tights are CW-X Stabilyx IMO. They really do help against fatigue and strengthen your form. My numbers are always just a lite bit better when I wear the.  Of course always with shorts oher them, and some uber-manly print tshirt. dot want to leave ANY questions....

Mmmmm...beer

I wear tights, I have a penis, get over it.

That being said, I wear compression shorts underneath and you can't see any details.  I've stopped caring what anyone thinks when I'm running, I will wear (or not wear ,i.e. shirtless in the summer) whatever is going to be most comfortable/functional.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Latent Runner

Agreed!

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                      • 2-mile: 13:49
                      • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                      • 5-Mile: 37:24
                      • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                      • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                      • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                      preciousJohn

The most comfy/warm tight ever! But not much compression with these and I don't mind. So no help with fatigue and strengthen. They are super comfy and soft!

MEN'S ADIDAS CLIMAWARM+ TIGHTS

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

I wear tights, I have a penis, get over it.

That being said, I wear compression shorts underneath and you can't see any details.  I've stopped caring what anyone thinks when I'm running, I will wear (or not wear ,i.e. shirtless in the summer) whatever is going to be most comfortable/functional.

+1

I'm running - if you can see "details" put down the binoculars. Only non-runners should get hung up on how manly you look. The only thing I won't wear while running is a thong or speedos.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

TJoseph

I just bought a pair of Brooks Spartan II pants.  I was on a business trip to Maine and upstate NY and wasn't prepared for the cold weather, so I went into Fleet Feet and bought the least expensive pant they had (they were not cheap though).  I like them a lot.  They are looser than tights, but not baggy and I don't notice them during the run.  I have only used them twice though.  Maybe I should have gone to Target instead and got the C9's, but I had already bought them before this thread started.

Latent Runner

+1

I'm running - if you can see "details" put down the binoculars. Only non-runners should get hung up on how manly you look. The only thing I won't wear while running is a thong or speedos.

The only times I've ever run in a speedo (and shoes, socks and a singlet) was in 1990 when I was doing triathlons, and, at least back then, a speedo was what pretty much everyone wore.

Fat old man PRs:

• 1-mile (point to point, gravity assist): 5:50
                              • 2-mile: 13:49
                              • 5K (gravity assist last mile): 21:31
                              • 5-Mile: 37:24
                              • 10K (first 10K of my Half Marathon): 48:16
                              • 10-Mile (first 10 miles of my Half Marathon): 1:17:40
                              • Half Marathon: 1:42:13
                              BrooksRunner87

I just purchased Reebok cold compression running tights and they keep me really warm. Picked them up cheap also.