This sucks (Read 761 times)

nemo1

I don't know if this rant goes here or in the racing thread. Since I didn't finish, I'll put it here. Sorry. I participated in the Sunburst Marathon in South Bend, IN today. I did well up to about mile 18. If I had kept going at my pace, I would have finished at around 5 and a half hours. Not too bad for me, since this was my first marathon. However, at mile 18, I got pretty sick to my stomach because of the heat. I didn't throw up, but I was afraid I was going to so I slowed down and walked and hoped I would feel better enough to run after I drank some water and rested a little. Well, I didn't get any better, but I walked to mile 23. Then, the first aid bikers said that the course was going to close after 6 and half hours and I couldn't get a ride back to the start if I didn't take a ride off of the course. So, since it was at least another 3 miles back to the start, and more importantly, I didn't know how to get there, I took the ride. I was just so close. But, the next marathon I wanted to do is in October in Columbus, OH. I will give myself 2 weeks off and try again. Grr.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Aww...I'm sorry to hear that. I think you made a really awesome effort. It was pretty warm here...I was getting "chills" from overheating a bit towards the end of my 10+ miler today (80º with fairly high humidity). I wasn't running at race effort and it was still kind of hard to keep going--and I know it has to be hotter in South Bend. You're gonna do great in Oct! By then the temps should be at least 10-20º cooler and less humid. You already know you can do 18 in the heat, so in better weather you will hit that 26.2 without any problem. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

nemo1

Yeah, it was 88 degrees when I got home and checked. Then it rained really hard and cooled off. It sure would have been nice to have that at the race.
          I ran the Sunburst 5k and it was HUMID. The temp wasn't too bad when we started at 7:15 but as soon as we took off I was dripping with sweat and it was difficult to have good breathing. And I only had 3.1 miles! I can't imagine how difficult it was for you and the rest of the marathoners/HMs. But you did give your best effort! I'm sure you weren't the only one that it was difficult for. October is going to be awesome for you, just know that you can do it!
          "If you want to become the best runner you can be, start now. Don't spend the rest of your life wondering if you can do it."
          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, it was 88 degrees when I got home and checked. Then it rained really hard and cooled off. It sure would have been nice to have that at the race.
            Oh, yuck! I know that would have made me ill. 80º and running at a slow, easy pace still felt tough. I was really surprised when I got home and logged my run, because my effort and breathing felt like I was moving faster than I was. When I overheat I get really sleepy, chills, and my intestines start to not feel too happy. I had a little of that today--I can only imagine what you racers in hotter temps were dealing with. I promise you will feel SO much better in an Oct. race. The Grand Rapids Marathon/Half are on the last weekend of Oct...great time of year! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

db7

I was right there with you. I had a 9 min pace through 13mi and then crashed on the second half. The humidity killed. Good job hanging in there as long as you could. Sorry you didnt make it to the stadium. Work hard for the next one. DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

Sara, I'm sorry that happened. Wouldn't it figure it rained *after* you got home!? Brad, did you take that pic in your profile? What a sky!! Is that your normal mode of transportation for your job or just when needed?
                  You guys are brave to sign up for a June marathon in South Bend. That weather can be atrocious! You made it really far in the race, and I know that weather permitting, you can totally finish a marathon. I think October is a much better time to run. The weather should definitely be cooler and less muggy. I'm very impressed you did 18 miles! In the hot muggy weather, I can't even handle my 5 mile runs! I get up with the sun just to get the runs in. I think you should be proud of all your training and proud that you did as well as you did and that you didn't need to be taken away in an ambulance Smile Watch out Columbus!
                  nemo1

Thanks everyone. I appreciate it. Good luck to all of the rest of the hot summer racers. Smile
                    db7

Brad, did you take that pic in your profile? What a sky!! Is that your normal mode of transportation for your job or just when needed? Picture is of AirLife helicopter with the Rocky Mountain background. My part time job. Fun ride!! DB

Tougher than most, dumber than the rest. "You can not count the miles until you feel them" TVZ

You should all sign up for the Dublin (Ireland) marathon in October. It has some of the best climate for running most of the time and its a great course; mostly flat and running through the city and park. That's what I'm traning for. Here's the link if you are interested: http://www.dublincitymarathon.ie/general_info.php
                        Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Damn...someday I want to do a destination marathon...Dublin would definitely be on my list! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

You're gonna do great in Oct! By then the temps should be at least 10-20º cooler and less humid.
                            If I recall, last year the temp was about 40 degrees at the start line. So you'll be golden. See you there!

Tick tock