So...this running in the snow thing...how do I do it? (Read 2615 times)

I'm noboby, who are you?

Has anyone tried Gore-Tex shoes and gaiters?

Careful of gore-tex shoes. While they may keep out some external water,  if any gets inside, it can't readily get out.  If your feet sweat a lot this is another problem.  if you only going to use them for a few miles they may be ok.

Gaiters do a nice job of keeping "stuff" from getting in you shoes. I'm assuming you mean on trails as they are of no value on roads. Personally I don't like gaiters because they slow ventilation and make my feet sweat. Wet feet even with good socks can turn into blisters. OTOH,  If your feet do not perspire, they can be very helpful. Dirt Girl is a popular brand. 

xor

I'm confused.

I thought the whole point of Gore-Tex was that it wouldn't let water in, but it would let water vapor out.

Imminent Catastrophe

Pithydoug,I was actually thinking specifically about running in deep snow like they had last weekend. Something I really don't have to worry about much here in Jaw-juh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm confused.

I thought the whole point of Gore-Tex was that it wouldn't let water in, but it would let water vapor out.

Snow, slush, overflow, puddles, stream crossings, etc, not to mention sweat,  over the top can all let water in. 

I haven't asked any of the winter ultra runners up here what they wear on their feet, but when I checked a few years ago (I was considering the adventure, but haven't and likely won't on the present course), many just wore their regular shoes and socks - or maybe double layers.  Some of the gore-tex / neoprene socks may have improved in breathability, but not sure.

What a person can do on a short run in other conditions might be very different. I'm sure some people use the gore-tex or other weather-resistant shoes, esp. if just on roads or shallow, dry snow with no underlying slush. (wet snow and sometimes deep slush - well over shoe tops - isn't unheard of up here)  (I use neoprene socks in windy or wet snow conditions, but beyond 3-4 hrs, my feet, which seldom sweat, may sweat. The foot issue - and not liking flat, straight courses - are why I haven't done a winter ultra.)

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog

I'm noboby, who are you?

I'm confused.

Let the stream or snow down in your shoe and your toes will likely be frostbitten or at least sloshing before the water vapor escapes. Your thinking about Gortex jackets. If you can guarantee that water/show/etc  will not get inside, then maybe.  A good wicking sock or two to pull the moisture outward and a non-gortex shoe should work just fine.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Let the stream or snow down in your shoe and your toes will likely be frostbitten or at least sloshing before the water vapor escapes. Your thinking about Gortex jackets. If you can guarantee that water/show/etc  will not get inside, then maybe.  A good wicking sock or two to pull the moisture outward and a non-gortex shoe should work just fine.

Yeah, I don't like Gore-tex shoes.  The uppers are heavy and stiff...and just one deep, slushy puddle and I will have wet feet for the rest of my run.  Adding insult to injury, the one pair of GT trail shoes I bought to wear specifically in the Winter are absolutely horrible in snow.  They are slippery as hell on the packed stuff and if it's at all sticky, the snow will clump-up horribly under my midfoot.  I'm going to put screws in them and see how they are as screw shoes.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Baby bean!

Careful of gore-tex shoes. While they may keep out some external water,  if any gets inside, it can't readily get out.  If your feet sweat a lot this is another problem.  if you only going to use them for a few miles they may be ok.

Gaiters do a nice job of keeping "stuff" from getting in you shoes. I'm assuming you mean on trails as they are of no value on roads. Personally I don't like gaiters because they slow ventilation and make my feet sweat. Wet feet even with good socks can turn into blisters. OTOH,  If your feet do not perspire, they can be very helpful. Dirt Girl is a popular brand. 

I thought gaiters were like turtleneck thingies ( I LOOOOVE mine!).  What are foot gaiters?

Goals:
                Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I'm noboby, who are you?

I thought gaiters were like turtleneck thingies ( I LOOOOVE mine!).  What are foot gaiters?

See http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/06602.html

I'm noboby, who are you?

Yeah, I don't like Gore-tex shoes.  The uppers are heavy and stiff...and just one deep, slushy puddle and I will have wet feet for the rest of my run.  Adding insult to injury, the one pair of GT trail shoes I bought to wear specifically in the Winter are absolutely horrible in snow.  They are slippery as hell on the packed stuff and if it's at all sticky, the snow will clump-up horribly under my midfoot.  I'm going to put screws in them and see how they are as screw shoes.

FWIW, I keep an older but not totally worn out pair with screws in them. You can put them in and take them out as needed but a big pain in the butt(use a power screw driver, do it by hand is pain in the...). Unless you're  running on solid rocks you nor your feet know they are there. When you hit some mud and churn through it as others slip and slide, you get appreciate the extra grip.

The is one other caveat,  when the mud gets real deep almost nothing helps. The Vermont 50 trail race last year was such a nightmare.  

gebuh

anybody mention screw shoes?  cheap and easy to make.

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

Very carefully.

2012: Just run.

In the rust belt, they get the roads salted (job security for the UAW in the old days...) and scraped down like a Zamboni went over it so it's kind of a choppy pace.  I can't use studs or yaktraks because there is so much exposed pavement.

+1 on the non-Gore-tex shoes.  I've never gotten cold feet when they got wet, the bulk of the water drains and the rest wicks out.

TC

"I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead..." J. Buffett There are two rules in life: 1.) Don't sweat the small stuff 2.) It's ALL small stuff

Baby bean!

See http://www.snewsnet.com/cgi-bin/snews/06602.html

Brilliant!

Goals:
                            Finish C25K

I'm slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter, but I run.

I think it depends on the brand and quality of the gore-tex shoe.  I have on more than one occasion accidentally stepped into a puddle of slush and gotten the inside of the gore-tex XCR shoe soaked, halfway through a 18 miler and haven't had problems with drainage.  On the other hand, I have a pair of gore-tex hiking boots, that do exactly what you described, I stepped in ice-water up to my calf, and had water sloshing around until I took the boot off...

tomatolover

I checked out the dirtygirl website for dirtygirl gators- does anyone wear these??  If so, can they be used on salted pavement as well as ice/snow et al???  How's the traction?  Do they fit over any runnning shoe?? I'm terrified of ice, though these  look fab-