FiveFingers (Read 667 times)

billycat

Hi guys New to the group, so maybe this Q is out there - anyone have any experience of Vibram Fivefingers? I am most likely going to take the plunge, but I'd be interested to hear how people have got on with them. Any points much appreciated, thanks in advance and happy running!
    C-R

None here but there are quite a few opinions on the Pose runners forum. posetech.com and use the seach function. If memory serves me, it was a mixed bag of opinions. Hope this helps.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
      "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Slow-smooth-fast

I know Ed4 has a pair, perhaps he could comment.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

This has come up a couple of times. Use the forum search feature and you should be able to see the previous discussions. FiveFingers is a pretty distinctive keyword.
            I have them, but due to some other circumstances in my life, I have not run in them. I got them oaver 18 months ago, but then moved cities for a job, and didn't have the surfaces I wanted to start with them. Long story, but I have not used them. I thought they felt great walking the dog, and plan to spend more time in them this summer. I have concluded that I need more cushioning for actual running, but think they are a brilliant design.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Yes, I have them, and I think they're awesome. I have about 250 miles on mine. They're not warm enough to wear below about 35 degrees for me, but as soon as it's warm again I'll be doing most of my running in them. Except when I'm barefoot. Just start out slow. My feet have become much, much stronger since I ditched my regular shoes. It's weird, before I would have never though of feet as muscular, but now mine are.
              Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
              Ed4

Barefoot and happy

didn't have the surfaces I wanted to start with them.
                Roads and sidewalks are fine. That's how I started. Softer terrain feels nice, but it won't teach you improved form, which is (at least for me) the whole point. After a couple months I was doing 14 milers on pavement in them, and feeling better than I used to in regular shoes, because I was really running much more smoothly and absorbing impact with the muscles and tendons that are designed for impact. By the way, I strongly suggest mixing in some truly barefoot running too. Especially when you're still trying to adapt to a comfortable form. You get much more immediate feedback that way, and it all just clicks without much thought. Instincts work... EDITED to add: And I wasn't kidding about starting out gently! I got overenthusiastic in the beginning and sprained my foot, setting me back six weeks. You need to accept that you're starting from the beginning again. But I'm still very glad I did.
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.