ESPN artitcle on Ryan Hall (Read 293 times)

Walk-Jogger

Good read; perhaps a bit long for my short attention span but lots of subtle nuances into the life of Ryan. Thanks for posting it. 

Retired &  Loving It

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

The same article is in this month's Runner's World. (took me 3 paragraphs to figure out I was reading the same thing, heh).

Thanks for posting it, though.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Good read; perhaps a bit long for my short attention span but lots of subtle nuances into the life of RyanThanks for posting it. 

Monty Python reference? Big grin

DaBurger

and.... he's out

Know thyself.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Dangit!

I haven't gotten to see him finish since I started following the pro marathon scene.  Was really looking forward to seeing how he'd do.

Speaking as a fellow Christian, I [think I] understand where he's coming from on the whole "faith-based training" thing, but even in purely spiritual pursuits, it's a good idea to have a mentor/coach/accountability partner, just to keep you from going off the rails.  As his experiences lately seem to indicate, so much the more so in the athletic realm.

I really like the guy - I understand a lot of people don't - but it really seems like he'd do well to find a coach and stick with him (MTA: or her).

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Dangit!

I haven't gotten to see him finish since I started following the pro marathon scene.  Was really looking forward to seeing how he'd do.

Speaking as a fellow Christian, I [think I] understand where he's coming from on the whole "faith-based training" thing, but even in purely spiritual pursuits, it's a good idea to have a mentor/coach/accountability partner, just to keep you from going off the rails.  As his experiences lately seem to indicate, so much the more so in the athletic realm.

I really like the guy - I understand a lot of people don't - but it really seems like he'd do well to find a coach and stick with him.

Ditto to all of the above.

DaBurger

I always thought that his whole idea of faith-based training was blown out of proportion.  I always thought it was more, "I'm training and listening to the feedback my body is giving me and adjusting based off that.  Since my body is a gift and I'm getting signals from it that are influencing my training (helping me decide how I'm going to approach the day's workout), whoever gave me that gift is my coach"

Also, imo he's just had some ridiculously rotten injury luck, very similarly to Ritz and Solinsky, but he get's more press because his "coaching" is more controversial.

Know thyself.

ultramarathon/triathlete

Maybe god doesn't like him.

Or, maybe god's a really crappy running coach and just better at things like flooding the Earth and inventing nice boobies .

Personally, I've been hoping he'd disappear for a while now.  Maybe now he finally will.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

ultramarathon/triathlete

I always thought that his whole idea of faith-based training was blown out of proportion.  I always thought it was more, "I'm training and listening to the feedback my body is giving me and adjusting based off that. "

Nope.  He meant god specifically:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITkmEyW_jnc 

He specifically asks god how far "he" wants him to run each day.  

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                      Gatorade Endurance Team

Personally, I've been hoping he'd disappear for a while now.  Maybe now he finally will.

God or Ryan?

Walk-Jogger

Monty Python reference? Big grin

"And there shall in that time be rumours of things going astray .  .  .

Wink

Retired &  Loving It

lagwagon

God or Ryan?

I read this as "good Ryan."

Looks like Julie Culley is out too.