Hurt my ankle last night....treatment? (Read 435 times)

jlmuls

So last night I was scheduled to run 6 miles. I'm just starting training for a HM and have been running for about a month now. I was in good shape before (going to the gym 3-5 days a week) but wanted a goal....so a HM it was. Anyways, about mile 5 last night, my left ankle started to hurt a little. I wasn't too concerned b/c it wasn't instant pain or a shooting pain and I know I didn't roll or twist my ankle while I was running....so I finished my last mile. After about an hour, my ankle was kililng me and I could barely put weight on it. Going up and down stairs was unbearable. I took some tylenol and went to bed. This morning, the pain is still there. I can barely put weight on it. It's not swollen and where it really hurts is to the left and right of the round ankle bone that sticks out. But mostly between that round ankle bone and my heel. Any idea what I could have done? Does it sound serious? And how long should I stay off of it? Any help is appreciated. Jen BTW - this is my first post and have just been a "lurker" for over a month now. I've gotten some great stuff off this site!!
      Hi Jen, You seem to be describing the same pain that I've experienced for the past few weeks. I can't view your log, so it's hard to say if it's similar, but I started having pain around the outside of my ankle, towards my heel, when I began the hill portion of my training. Basically, I realized that I was stretching that tendon (peroneal) doing hills, and when I a)ended hill repeats and b)started stretching it beforehand, the pain basically went away. It was always worse in the morning when I was stiff generally from sleeping. Like you mentioned, it was never actually swollen. So, as for ideas for treatment, I'd say first of all rest a couple of days, using the RICE techniques (rest, ice, compression, elevation), make sure you're stretching the area before starting a run, and then maybe check your shoes for adequate cushioning and keep an eye on not increasing mileage too quickly. I felt better after only about 3 or 4 days once I stopped the nasty hills. I always knew hills were evil.... Evil grin Hope you feel better soon. When's your HM? Carol
      1000 mile club. "Pain is just the weakness leaking out."